British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-20, 08:53 PM

Default Jennens bronze RFC wing question

Hello,
I am new to this forum and new to collecting RFC wings. I do have a few WW1 US wings. I am considering purchasing a RFC wing marked "J&Co". Pictures posted....I apologize for the quality.

I read the following post from last year that listed some examples and also posed a question regarding when these wings were made.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=51437

Quote:
Following up on the initial post in this thread*, I picked up another identical example of this style of RFC wing from a recent British Auction House. Flight Badges of the Allied Nations 1914-1918 (2016) by Robert Pandis is an excellent and detailed book which covers the many variations of this wing. On page 27, they refer to this Jennens (J&Co) bronze wing as being the third Fattorini design variation due to the wear marks on the die.
Both these examples match the size and weight of the example on page 27 in the book. What isn’t clear to me is exactly when these were produced. Perhaps others have some information on this?

Does anyone know if the "J&Co" mark has been faked on any wings, and also when these wings were produced? They would not have made RFC wings after it became the RAF in 1918....would they? I understand the Jennens firm was purchased by J. R. Gaunt & Son in 1924.

I appreciate any comments/opinions.

Thank you,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.8417.01.a.jpg (18.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1.8417.02.a-100x100.jpg (3.5 KB, 40 views)