British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-11, 12:24 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Default Surry Veteran Reserve Lapel Badge

I've found one reference on the internet about this badge (see below) but would like to know more. Any help much appreciated.

From the Great War Forum

Quote:
I have the Army Order for the formation of the National Reserve at home, but can't remember if I have the one for the Veteran Reserve, but basically it was a movement in which it was hoped to consolidate all of Great Britains ex-servicemen, who had no Reserve commitments, into a Reserve that could be drawn upon in times of National crisis. I can't remember the precise date in which it was formed, but 1908/09 seems to ring a bell, but it's success was very limited.

It was county based, but I think their were problems over administration and I'm unsure as to exactly how many Counties formed their VR's and to-date this is only the seoond VR badge from a formed unit that I know of. The only other formed and badged unit was the Northumberland Veteran Reserve, who wore an enameled lapel badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00818.jpg (55.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00819.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Mr.P.Dreary; 04-07-11 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 11:25 AM

Default Veteran Reserves

There are at least a few more Veteran Reserves; Kent has a similar style badge to Surrey, in bi-metal, whilst both Edinburgh and London had lapel type badges similar to the usual "Naional Reserve" enamel ones...

Tim