British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-18, 10:38 AM

Default SAS Wings Green Background 39 X 83mm.

I've posted these wings in the British section but I think they may be Australian? Rhodesian?
Manufactured prior to January 1989.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181213_091347795~2.jpg (48.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181213_091409951~2.jpg (39.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 13-12-18, 01:34 PM

Default SAS wings

Def Rhodesian/Zimbabwean.
For some reason the Rhodesian SAS decided early on to wear a SAS wing with 9 feathers, as opposed to the standard 8 feathered version. Their wing was, after an early (rare) version on black, embroidered on dark green felt for the dress uniform and light green cotton for the combat uniform. Various versions were issued, with the most common having a dark grey spotty gauze type materiel on the back and the final version having a white back. The filling is very specific, with the entirety of wings being raised by the pronounced filling, although I have seen wings with all the filling removed by the owner.The chute embroidery is also very specific, with a central vertical black line on a high chute.
There is a very bad copy sometimes sold as "Rhodesian" which is a standard British SAS wing embroidered on a green felt background. Fortunately it looks nothing like the actual Rhodesian wing but may catch the unwary.
When Zimbabwe was formed any actual Rhodesian Special Forces tended to make themselves scarce, with a lot joining the South African Defence Force, either as Parabats, Pathfinders or Reccies.
Zimbabwe finally decided it was going to need some form of Special Forces and, allegedly with help from Hereford, the Zimbabwe SAS was formed. The badges I have seen have basically been cheaper, less competent versions of the Rhodie wings, embroidered on worse materiel with worse quality control (wrong colours).

Ian H
Old 13-12-18, 02:15 PM

Thank you, very interesting (the wings came from an ex RLI / SA Pathfinder although I don't think they had actually been his during service.