British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-18, 09:07 PM

Default The Royal Regina Rifles cap badge

Hello all,

I am about to complete a long standing collection of badges to the
28th (North West) Battn CEF. The reason for the collection is that my Great Uncle (Sgt George Blake) was a member of the 28th and was awarded the DCM & MM, but sadly died at the end of WW1 from Influenza in 1920. You can find a post on the forum by placing his name or mine (Fatboy Ken) in the search engine above.

I received 2 very nice Canadian collar badges C/28 from Malcolm Davey of Watling Militaria, both maker marked (MM), although he stated on his website that he did not know which MM. After a little research I believe the MM to be "TIPTAFT".

Anyway, I am straying off of the subject;

To complete the collection I need to bring the Regiment forward to the 20th & 21st Century, I have the cap badge & collars to [The Regina Rifles]
I have noticed that this Regiment has been awarded the prefix "Royal" to become [The Royal Regina Rifles] in the 1980's.

My question is as follows;

I have been looking for a cap badge to the Royal Regina Rifles and sadly have had no success, is there a reason that I am missing here ?

If anyone has a spare cap badge, would it be possible to purchase it.

Thank you for your time

Ken (The Fatboy)
Old 05-10-18, 09:19 PM
MarkGD

Hi Ken,
Nice piece of history, i too had a family member serve in the Regina Rifles and 28th, the Royal Regina Rifles are 'reserves' if i recall, normally hard to find badges due to the numbers, however sure one of our Canadian members could point you in the right direction. Regards Mark
Old 05-10-18, 09:46 PM

Hello Marc,

Many thanks for your speedy reply buddy

I knew I should have stuck to Transport Corps

FBK
Old 08-10-18, 07:04 AM

Default Royal Regina Rifles

Ken,

I don't have one but see PM

Chris
Old 08-10-18, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

I would suggest trying some Canadian militaria dealers, Marway, Toronto Military Antiques, etc. The badge appears on ebay listings on occasion.
Old 08-10-18, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post

Century, I have the cap badge & collars to [The Regina Rifles]
I have noticed that this Regiment has been awarded the prefix "Royal" to become [The Royal Regina Rifles] in the 1980's.
As far as I know there were two changes of designation:
1924: The Regina Rifle Regiment.
1982: The Royal Regina Rifles Regiment.
1984: The Royal Regina Rifles.

Thus it seems that The Regina Rifles, as you use it above, never was the official designation.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 13-10-18, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Henk The two designations in the 1980's did not require two badges. There was only one pattern of badge for the RRR, with the "Royal" honour.
Old 13-10-18, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Henk The two designations in the 1980's did not require two badges. There was only one pattern of badge for the RRR, with the "Royal" honour.
Thanks for that information.

But I only wanted to make the phrase "in the 1980's" more precise. Which, in my opinion, might be the more interesting for the OP (and others), because it was a two stage process.

Old 13-10-18, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure what you mean by a two stage process Henk. There were (as you know from your research) changes in designation where the article "THE" was not part of the designation, then was, etc. The sequence of the title also changed designations, eg 12th Armoured Regt (Sherbrooke Regt), changed to the Sherbrooke Regiment (12th Armoured Regiment).
This changes the regimental designation, but in most cases there was no change in the badge design. That was true in the case of the RRR.
Old 13-10-18, 01:08 PM

I am no talking about badges at all. I leave that to the badge gurus.

I only repeat what is in the DHH Official Lineages that the Regina Rifle Regiment became royal in 1982 and got the word Royal added in front. And that it 1984 changed again, dropping the word Regiment and making Rifle plural.

This only to make more specific
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Some people are not interested at all in what the designationa of the units they are collecting badges from are. They are strongly invited to skip my posts.

Other have shown interest in knowing these things, maybe adding them to the descriptions that go with their badges in their collection.