British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-11-08, 05:04 PM

Default Irish button ?? ID Anyone ?

Hi All, Does anyone have any idea on this button, made by jennens & co, London, white metal, 19mm, thanks in advance, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img716.jpg (21.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-11-08, 12:50 AM

Interesting, looks as though it could be 199th Canadian Irish Rangers, however I can not recall the button exactly.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-11-08, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Interesting, looks as though it could be 199th Canadian Irish Rangers, however I can not recall the button exactly.
You may well be right, I have not seen this before , if it is a military button I do not think it is from any of the Irish units from the British Isles. The KC discounts either the Irish Imperial Yeomanry units or the Kerry Militia (a WM/Silver button with crown above shamrock but usually with the title "Kerry Militia" and number "107") which would be among the obvious candidates.

John
Old 11-11-08, 11:01 AM
ulsterman

I believe it is a H.M Irish Lieutenants of Counties button. Military Historical Society Vol. XX No.77 Pg 108

Jonny
Old 11-11-08, 06:44 PM

Jonny - you may be correct but I have a full dress uniform to a Deputy Lieutenant from County Kildare; the button is silver with a Crown in the centre, surrounded by laurel leaves. No shamrock on the button.
I was hoping that someone may identify the button pictured here as an 'Irish Horse' of some period.
A very similar one, but surrounded by oak leaves, recently sold on ebay where it was described as being early Irish Constabulary.
Old 11-11-08, 11:03 PM
ulsterman

Hello Peter,

No idea if Im right or not, but it def a very similar button to the one in the original post. The article I referenced is called "Buttons of the Royal Household and Dress worn at court" The button you described is illustrated as being - Deputy Lieutenants and Vice-Lieutenants of Counties, silver or white metal.

Also maybe of interest to yourself, it also illustrates the button worn by the Inspector General of the RIC. The example shows a gilt QVC crowned tunic button. Although you cannot really see from the b/w scan.

I am unsure of copyright laws etc, but would it be possible to scan a copy of the buttons in the article for the benefit of the froum?

Jonny
Old 24-11-08, 11:05 PM

Jonny - would be very interested in that article if you'd be so kind as to email it to me.
For completeness, here are the two buttons mentioned, a button of a Deputy Lt of an Irish County and a button from the full dress of an Inspector General or Deputy IG of the RIC (marked 'Special Quality' on reverse)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IGButobv.jpg (56.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IGButrev.jpg (27.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DepLtBut.jpg (98.4 KB, 8 views)