British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-09, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOSY View Post
Hi Viletone,
I was interested in your comment re reversed silver and gilt Middlesex collar. Is it the same as this one? It is the same size as the cap badge. ( I also have a reversed Essex with sweatholes, but a known fake)
Jim
I can find no reference to these badges in K & K or Gaylor. I would hazard a guess that they go together as cap and collar, but for what Battalion? Volunteer, Militia or even Band?
Does anyone else have a view on this?
Jim
Old 22-09-09, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Plus the all-brass Gloucester Regt which Alan O says is 5th TF Battn. This is listed in Gaylor as 1916 economy which has been disputed in a number of previous Forum threads. This particular one had lugs at the rear. Militia ? Band ? 1916 economy ? or fake ? !
I know squat about British/UK badges, however, Jeff, your pics of the King's Own Scottish Borderers and this Gloucestershire "Egypt" badge both look remarkably akin to the current crop of Canadian (and other) cast repros coming out of the UK of late, esp. in terms of the material, finish, surface appearance, and the rounded, worn-looking lettering. Your comment that the Gloucestershire badge is lugged, รก la the Canadian repops, makes me wonder if these two, but especially the latter, are from the same dubious source? Out of curiosity, does that one have long, 12 mm lugs with short, rounded feet?
Old 22-09-09, 06:53 AM

Hi David. The pic I posted of the KOSB (14th Sept) was all-brass, it was taken from the Smith & Wilde auction 21st March 2008 (Lot 526). I examined and photographed this at the pre-sale viewing, it was die-struck and looked fine to me. I was not able to measure the length of the lugs.
The all-brass Gloucester (posted 17th Sept) was mine in 1970, a year or two before I gave up collecting. However I had purchased it from a reputable dealer (David Young). Again it was die struck, but in those days I was not too concerned with taking dimensions or examining the lugs etc, I just photographed what I liked. Big mistake !
Nowadays I photograph, measure, and weigh everything where possible. Incidently the all-brass Som LI Militia badge was "lifted" off the Web just recently so I can't tell you much about that either..except that I had one some years ago and it was die-struck and lugged. Anyway, in answer to your query, I am sure the other two were not Canadian (or British) cast fakes, tho' interested to learn that these are being produced. Regards. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 22-09-09 at 08:10 AM.

Tags
all brass, economy, gloucestershire