British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-16, 05:44 AM

Default Cavalry Badges in the BEF 1914

Hi Experts!

Can anyone help me out by directing me to LoC or any other primary source information on ANY of the badges that would have been worn by the 15th Hussars as they would have been while in France with the BEF 1914?

I know what the cap badge looks like but no idea as to the positioning as I have not found any photographs of the unit at that time. Photos of other units show them in various positions from very low to almost above the head band.

I also would like to know about the other badges, collar, shoulder titles etc and application and what on? Greatcoat, SD Jacket etc? The Shoulder titles say 15H but no idea of size or what and where they go.

I know that the 15th wore a crown above all rank chevrons in the 17-18 hundreds, did this continue into 1914?

Please Help!!!
Old 24-02-16, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Adrien, welcome to the Forum. Your post is active.
Old 24-02-16, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

http://i3.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/l...arforth-02.jpg

The hat badge is use. The position is standard for the peaked cap of the time.
Old 24-02-16, 01:40 PM

The 15th were really great, if you stick to the BEF in 1914, certainly as far as their rank and file went, it is a simple matter of an example of their cap badge and shoulder title to acquire, Home Service Full Dress was withdrawn because of the war, so you don't really need to worry about the collar badges.
For some reason, I myself have always thought of this regiment as one of the scarcer ones, when it comes to badges, notwithstanding, they are out there to be bought, as long as you are happy to pay for them, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien View Post
Hi Experts!

Can anyone help me out by directing me to LoC or any other primary source information on ANY of the badges that would have been worn by the 15th Hussars as they would have been while in France with the BEF 1914?

I know what the cap badge looks like but no idea as to the positioning as I have not found any photographs of the unit at that time. Photos of other units show them in various positions from very low to almost above the head band.

I also would like to know about the other badges, collar, shoulder titles etc and application and what on? Greatcoat, SD Jacket etc? The Shoulder titles say 15H but no idea of size or what and where they go.

I know that the 15th wore a crown above all rank chevrons in the 17-18 hundreds, did this continue into 1914?

Please Help!!!
Old 24-02-16, 08:53 PM

Alan in the photo you posted there is a badge above the Sgts stripes! Metal by the looks of it what would this have been?
Old 24-02-16, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

NCO's arm badge as here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=15377

Either that or its a metal crown for a SSgt. I think the former.
Old 25-02-16, 04:24 AM

"I know that the 15th wore a crown above all rank chevrons in the 17-18 hundreds, did this continue into 1914? "

I think that the photo covers this off nicely, however would this have been metal or fabric on service?
Old 25-02-16, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you have anything to back up the removal of the collar dogs? I like to have some sort of original documentation to answer the "why don't you have..." questions.

I am having a hard time finding shoulder titles do you have any idea on the dimensions or an available pair? I am also finding it hard to get photos of the 15th in France with the the BEF. The regimental Museum has been almost obstructive in attaining any information!!
Old 25-02-16, 10:58 AM

Home Service Full Dress, complete with collar badges, was withdrawn, from memory, by AO292 on the 1st of September 1914, whilst it did not apply to the Household Cavalry, it did restrict the rest to Service Dress of the duration of the War and meant that Great Britain's red little army was gone forever, members of the BEF certainly did not wear it in France in 1914.
Their rank and file shoulder titles are shown at 147 and 148 respectively in Westlake, I do have some somewhere and if no else photographs their examples for you, I will find them in due course.
Old 25-02-16, 11:02 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks, I found the book on Kindle.

It has the two pictures but nothing on size. I also note that they come in two types i.e. 15.H and 15H with no description on when either came into service. While they could have been in circulation at the same time I would not expect them both to be issued together.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Adrien; 26-02-16 at 03:35 AM.

Tags
15th hussars, bef, cavalry badges, wwi