British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-13, 05:53 PM
Former Member

Default 1st and 2nd Life Guards - Request for help!

Does anyone have a genuine 1st and 2nd Life Guards badge they'd be prepared to share an image of please? I only have this theatre made(?)/cast example and plenty of fakes! It would be nice to "See one in the Flesh"!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 (3).jpg (104.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003.jpg (116.6 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 27-10-13 at 08:29 AM.
Old 26-10-13, 05:56 PM
LYPAO Boff

oooops.... you want a combined

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-10-13, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Theatre made for the 1st and 2nd LG? the only theatre they went between 1920 and 1928 to was the Old Vic...

Old 26-10-13, 06:12 PM
LYPAO Boff

There is one on a dealers website at the moment ...... "PT" ..... that appears to be OK?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-10-13, 07:08 PM

It was only in use for a couple of months, and i was told it is doubtful if any more than 6 had been made.
Andy.
Old 26-10-13, 08:21 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
There is one on a dealers website at the moment ...... "PT" ..... that appears to be OK?
Griff,
Not a fan!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 27-10-13 at 11:38 AM.
Old 26-10-13, 08:24 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
It was only in use for a couple of months, and i was told it is doubtful if any more than 6 had been made.
Andy.
Andy,
Thanks for the post, where does such a low figure as 6 come from?

Andy
Old 26-10-13, 08:48 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Theatre made for the 1st and 2nd LG? the only theatre they went between 1920 and 1928 to was the Old Vic...

I think they were styled the "1st and 2nd Life Guards" from 1922-28? And knowing their resistance to change, and the lack of images of credible badges, I'm starting to think that there may not have been any widespread use of the 1 & 2 badge? Perhaps the squadrons wore the original 1st or 2nd LG badges until the simple and mutually agreeable "Life Guards" came off the press, for universal Regimental wear?

Having been a collector of Household Division badges for many decades, I've still yet to see one I'd be happy to acquire?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 27-10-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 26-10-13, 09:24 PM

I was told that 1st and 2nd was not popular among officers who chose to wear thier own badge of first or second from which they came and the subtitle was soon omitted, the badge was officers only and most likely junior officers joining after the time of amalgamation.
I know of only one other person to have had one and the one that i own was only the second he had seen in 38 years of dealing.

Andy.
Old 26-10-13, 09:42 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I was told that 1st and 2nd was not popular among officers who chose to wear thier own badge of first or second from which they came and the subtitle was soon omitted, the badge was officers only and most likely junior officers joining after the time of amalgamation.
I know of only one other person to have had one and the one that i own was only the second he had seen in 38 years of dealing.

Andy.
Andy,
I kind of understand you not wanting to share an image of the badge you own, well sorry not really I don't ?.. why if you believe you have a good one would you not want to share it in this Forum????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

6 badges seems rather an unlikely number, and if as you say they were "officer only", then they'd probably be of an OSD finish?

My point of starting this thread was, that having been fortunate enough to amass a collection of several thousand cap badges, I hoped that someone would be forthcoming with an nice example, this particular badge still eludes me and unlike others such as the officers Guards Machine Gun Regiment Forage Cap badge, I have at least seen credible images of badges to confirm they do exist! I'm sorry but so close to Christmas, I feel just like Santa this is something that only exists in the fantasy realm?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 26-10-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 26-10-13, 09:47 PM
Former Member

Andy,
Thank you for your PM which was sent at the same time and after I posted the above reply, could you please post an image or at least send me one via email, just to confirm my quest to obtain one is not a lost cause.

Best regards

Andy
Old 26-10-13, 10:12 PM
Former Member

The plot thickens!

So this is a rare badge! If a genuine ORs badge does exist then it is most likely to be sporting a slider and made of GM?

If Andy is correct, and this is an "officer only" badge, and I hope he is able to share an image of his Extremely rare badge, then I would suspect what he has, is a very scarce OSD, with blade fittings, as that would be the only badge worn by even the most junior of officers c.1922-28?

I hope nobody gets hot under the collar about this thread, as it is only intended to provide fact! The first Household Cavalry cap badges, as is generally agreed were produced at the request of King George 5th? The initial issue appearing to be with blade fittings and they are fairly abundant with conversion/replacement sliders replacing the original blades! 1st LG, 2nd LG and RHG OR's badges also exist which were clearly manufactured with sliders, the former probably produced late WW1 up to 1922?

If during the short period 1922-28, new arrival "Ruperts" purchased 1&2 LG badges? then they would surely be in an OSD finish?

It would be nice to have mutually accepted result to this thread?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 27-10-13 at 08:35 AM.
Old 27-10-13, 02:26 PM

Andy

Interesting thread. This is a badge that has eluded me as well, I've seen plenty of copies though.
Magpie's comments are particularly significant to me as I only collect Other Ranks Insignia to the British Cavalry/RAC. If he is correct I don't have to bother with this, so that will save some money...lol.

With respect, I think it may be prudent to try and obtain confirmation of Magpie's comments, before full acceptance of them, even if we feel they are plausible, which I do incidentally.

However, I am a little concerned with the suggestion that numbers as low as 6 being made, I think that is even less that a typical sample batch from a manufacturer?
I will post anything pertinent I discover.

Rob

Last edited by Robthereiver; 27-10-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 27-10-13, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

The only way to prove this is to find the sealed pattern card for the 1928 Life Guards badge and see which badges it replaced.
Old 27-10-13, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would add that it is a very plausible theory as it was normal practice in the amalgamated cavalry regts in the 1920s to keep former badges in use with the junior regt, in this case the 2nd, being represented by one Sqn and the senior regt's badge being used by the remainder.

Interestingly the HCR today use both badges to preserve the LG and the Blues and Royals identities.