British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-07-11, 01:56 PM

Default Canadian Military Colleges sweetheart pins

All,

As a staff writer for e-veritas, the Royal Military Colleges's Club alumni journal (everitas.rmcclub.ca, I have written several articles over the years about the stories of ex-cadets from RMC, RRMC, CMR/RMC-St Jean and their sweethearts. I am curious about the tradition of sweetheart pins in general and those of the Canadian Military Colleges in particular since this could make an interesting follow up article.

The curator of the Royal Military College Fort Frederick Museum in Kingston, On, Ross McKenzie, mentioned that their collection of RMC sweetheart pins is extensive and they were interested in completing the set. www.rmcvirtualmuseum.com

I have attached a few examples of what I belive are Canadian Military College sweetheart pins.

E3161 Victoria Edwards (RMC 2003)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMC sweetheart pin grad 1962.JPG (9.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RMC RRMC Old Brigade Badge 2001.jpg (31.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RMC sweetheart pin grad 74.JPG (4.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RMC CMR RRMC badges.JPG (17.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-07-11, 05:52 PM

Victoria:

Given most of these have 'grad' on them, I wouldn't class them as sweetheart pins: more like souvenir pins for the various graduation events. Photo 49 on the RCM museum site you linked (Gallery 6, cadet artifacts) shows more of what I think are all grad souvenirs.

Sweetheart pins are usually miniatures of actual regimental or corps badges, often sterling silver, gold plate or enameled, etc., but they come in just about any way, shape and form, from tiny brooch pins to custom made silver or gold plated full size badges with chain loops and brooch backs. I've even seen solid platinum Artillery Corps and Black Watch sweethearts encrusted in small diamonds.

What qualifies as a sweetheart is a matter of personal point of view, I guess, as things like regimental lapel pins, small collar dogs (esp. CEF officer's collars) and reunion pins get lumped into the mix, but I wouldn't call these sweethearts.

If you trawl through this category in the Canadian section here, you'll see a few examples. This Black Watch pin is particularly nice.

Be interested in seeing more photos of what you are trying to catalog.

And welcome to the Forum, BTW
Old 30-07-11, 04:06 PM

Lightbulb RMC sweetheart pins

Thanks for the welcome and the insight into sweetheart pins, David.

I didn't realize that miniature regimental/corps badges (designed to be given to sweethearts) existed. The ones you pointed out are lovely.

The wives of ex-cadets that I interviewed spoke of being given 'sweetheart pins' by their dates in the 1950-70s. I have seen photos of women wearing ball gowns and pins in or near their corsages at the College balls.

The relative large & cute RMC pins produced as fundraisers for the regular balls e.g. Fall/Xmas denoted that the couple were dating/sweethearts while the Graduation ball pins and Mil College pin were given in the context of a more formal promise to marry e.g. in the short period after the couple graduated (e.g. RMC/Queen's/KGH nursing school) and before they moved for military training/first posting.

Since officers & nurses wore uniforms at the time, jewlery would have been modest e.g. this charm depicting the RMC Memorial Arch and a simple gold wedding ring. Most of the couples I spoke to mentioned that they had very small weddings and short/no honeymoons and could not afford anything extravagant. I'd love to see more 'sweetheart pins.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMC silver charm.JPG (7.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-08-11, 07:23 AM

Victoria: if you just do a Google image search for either 'Canadian sweetheart badges' or 'sweetheart badges' you'll tumble a swack of examples. Here's one that is about as sweetheartish as it gets.

I don't know of any available reference for Canadian sweetheart pins/badges/brooches per se. Since most of these are, as mentioned previously, private purchase or PX-type items, they are all over the map insofar as quality and variety. Trying to amass a comprehensive catalog would, I think, be nigh on impossible.

I've got a couple of sweethearts kicking about somewhere (Camerons, Forestry Corps), so if I stumble across them I'll scan them for you. No RMC though, and it is one that showed no results either when I trying Googling for images of Military College sweethearts.
Old 15-08-11, 05:55 PM

Lightbulb RMC sweetheart pin

The Royal Military College Club of Canada giftshop (Panet House) sells a ladies silver broach with rhinestones, with crest which could be suitable as a Military College sweetheart pin. I suspect it is often sold as a gift for female cadets though. https://www.rmcclub.ca/cart/Default.asp?TOrder_ID=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silver & rhinestone brooch.jpg (71.0 KB, 3 views)

Tags
cmr sweetheart tags, rmc, rrmc