British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-20, 03:50 PM

Default Interesting WRAC Badge

Here is a WRAC cap badge I recently added to my collection. What makes it so interesting is that there is no sign of any white metal on the lioness. I would expect some residue if if it were just worn off, but I don't see any, front or back. I recall another thread which had one of these where it had not gone through the final step of adding the white metal to the lioness and wonder if this might be one of those?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Terry
Old 27-07-20, 03:54 PM

To me, it looks like the front of the lioness is of a different coloured metal to the crown and wreath.
Could it be that the white metal overlay is tarnished to a similar colour to the remainder of the badge?
Old 28-07-20, 03:27 PM

Thanks Leigh.

I wondered that as well, as the lioness is a more brown color. However, what makes me think the white metal was not ever applied is that the coloring of the lioness is so even and consistent. I would expect if it was tarnished it would be more irregular or probably even have some areas of the white metal showing through.

These aren't great pictures, but I took one of the badge next to another one that is a little grungy, but you can easily see the lioness.

Then I took a close up of the lioness on the badge in question and there is just no evidence of any white metal. In fact in the few slightly worn places, it looks brass.

That's what's making me think it is an unfinished badge, which if that's the case I like having it in my collection as an oddity.

Terry
Old 29-07-20, 05:10 AM

If it were mine I would give it a good clean and see what comes up. It may well be very tarnished white metal.

I have also some some white metal badges with a coat of lacquer on that has yellowed giving the white metal the appearance of brass. Once the lacquer was removed, then the white metal came to the fore again.
Old 29-07-20, 07:11 PM

Thoughtful suggestion Milmed, I don't usually clean pieces as I more prefer what wear and age gives a piece. Also, in this case, there are places where you can see brass showing through, but that's easier to see in person.

I guess I'd hate to clean it, find out it is fully brass and have ruined the aged finish. And if it's truly white metal, and I have others like this one that have the lioness in the white metal color. So, as it is it makes a more unusual badge. And perhaps at some point the true story about it might come to light.

All that said, I will clean dirt off off an item, but only if it can be done without ruining the patina.

Appreciate the thought!

Terry
Old 29-07-20, 07:29 PM

Could the patina be a layer of discolouration from tobacco smoke? If it is, a scrape with a thumbnail may rub discolouration off.