British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-20, 12:13 AM

Default LRDG Badge

Hello all, Ive been pretty quiet over the last few years but thought I might post a couple of pics of my LRDG badge.
It was turned into a sweetheart badge for his wife some time ago. the felt is glued down (the black is stuck down but the red is loose) and i have never tried to remove it with nothing to gain from doing it as it came with nice solid provenance when I purchased it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1308.jpg (87.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.jpg (69.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1309.jpg (72.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 29-03-20, 12:21 AM

Nice original badge .
Best wishes
Steve
Old 30-03-20, 12:29 AM

Hi Timmy, I was very tempted when your hat badge came up for auction.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I have it recorded as formally belonging to Sergeant John Llewellyn Dorrian Davis, Service No. 37293.
For those who don't know, Sergeant Davis received one of only two British Empire Medals that were awarded to NZ members of the LRDG, awarded for his conduct throughout the Aegean operations.

I would very much like to add an uncensored copy of the provenance letter to my files, if possible you can PM it to me?

Cheers
Brent
Old 30-03-20, 12:48 AM

Just out of interest, the first British Empire Medal was awarded to Sergeant Archibald Forbes McLeod, Service No. 3388.
Sergeant McLeod was awarded his BEM as a NZ Fitter in charge of A Squadrons workshops.

The following picture taken on a minesweeper shows members of the LRDG after escaping Leros.
On the left are the New Zealanders J.L.D. Davis, C. A. Yaxley and M. D. Richardson. Captain C. K. Saxton of T1 patrol is at right in rear

ON A MINESWEEPER from Turkey to Haifa. On the left are the New Zealanders J.L.D. Davis, C. A. Ya.jpg
Old 30-03-20, 05:48 PM

Brent - thanks for the information and images.
Mike
Old 30-03-20, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Hi Timmy, I was very tempted when your hat badge came up for auction.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I have it recorded as formally belonging to Sergeant John Llewellyn Dorrian Davis, Service No. 37293.
For those who don't know, Sergeant Davis received one of only two British Empire Medals that were awarded to NZ members of the LRDG, awarded for his conduct throughout the Aegean operations.

I would very much like to add an uncensored copy of the provenance letter to my files, if possible you can PM it to me?

Cheers
Brent
Hi Brent, i hope all is well. Ill pm you when i get a chance to dig it out... I have it safely tucked away at the moment