British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-14, 11:48 AM

Question Gaunt Markings

Hi Members.
Can anyone give me any positive info.re Gaunt markings on officers silver badges stamped with a P. I have been told that it denotes Silver Plate and another theory that it is on Silver badges made from Silver which does not reach the standard required to be fully Hall Marked.
Hope someone can enlighten me.Regards to all, George Davies.
Old 02-03-14, 12:22 PM

Hello George,

I'm not sure if the Gaunt mark would appear different on an Officers badge,[we will both have to wait on that answer] but i'm 99% sure that the letter P on it's own is saying that it's silver plate & not Sterling silver which i think is around 92% soild silver & would show the standard hallmarks of the date etc.Silver plate is the adding of a thin layer of silver to the base metal,it's the one that discolours the most if i'm right,i'm sure some of the Silver collectors will put us right.

Regards

Gerard
Old 02-03-14, 01:30 PM

Hello George,
I've always believed that the letter "P" on the reverse of Gaunt's made officer's badges denotes "plated" and is not seen on their hallmarked badges.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Davies View Post
Hi Members.
Can anyone give me any positive info.re Gaunt markings on officers silver badges stamped with a P. I have been told that it denotes Silver Plate and another theory that it is on Silver badges made from Silver which does not reach the standard required to be fully Hall Marked.
Hope someone can enlighten me.Regards to all, George Davies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020413.jpg (31.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-03-14, 02:14 PM
LYPAO Boff

Just to back up what Frank has said..... here are two examples..... one ordinary Officers white metal SD Cap motto and a silver plated ...marked "P". I believe there is also one marked "S" that is not hallmarked.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-03-14, 02:21 PM

Hello Griff,
I do like that top motto, was it expensive?
Super piece!
I had an old friend in the 17/21st, a wartime commission, he served thoughout the North African and Italian campaigns, sadly now gone and we never did get to discuss badges, a great shame!
Regards Frank
Old 02-03-14, 02:24 PM
LYPAO Boff

Thanks Frank..... it was not too expensive if you consider the HMd go for £300 plus BTW there is an Officers Beret badge that is die stamped (like the ORs slider version) with loops.

Here is an example of the "S" mark... (not in my collection) I think the "S" Mark is in the post WW2 National Service era? The two Mottos above are 1946-64 but again in that National Service bracket I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UnmarkedSGOfficer2.jpg (68.8 KB, 26 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 02-03-14 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 03:35 PM

Hello Griff,
Tell me, I do know that in some regiments, in days gone by, some officers badges have been handed down, within the said regiment, with some CO's wanting their officers to wear "old" badges and this contributes to them actually being quite scarce, certainly within the foot guards and the famous South African regiment, the Imperial Light Horse, this has been true, do you know if this had ever taken place in the 17/21st?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Thanks Frank..... it was not too expensive if you consider the HMd go for £300 plus BTW there is an Officers Beret badge that is die stamped (like the ORs slider version) with loops.

Here is an example of the "S" mark... (not in my collection) I think the "S" Mark is in the post WW2 National Service era? The two Mottos above are 1946-64 but again in that National Service bracket I think.
Old 02-03-14, 03:51 PM
LYPAO Boff

Frank.... I can believe that the HMd silver would be donated back in some form. Its common place in most Regiments that silver cap badges were made into mess items ....ashtrays..... menu holders and such like....and silver collar badges converted into a Wife's brooch etc etc

17/21 being the Regiment that they were ....would have kept many things within the Regiment and families of. I have not seen much on the ordinary collectors market ...... you will have to go to Bonhams (and the like) to find the good stuff.

The silver Motto is an elusive beast.... but when its found then expect to pay around £300 plus from a dealer ....... and the value goes up pre 1920. Post 1960 you shouldn't be paying more than £100 considering its just the silver value in reality.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-03-14, 04:09 PM

Hello Griff,
Well, I think it is certainly the case that the hallmarked badges to this regiment are really very hard to find these days, but, I just wondered what your own thoughts were.
Kind regards Frank
Old 02-03-14, 04:17 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Griff,
Well, I think it is certainly the case that the hallmarked badges to this regiment are really very hard to find these days, but, I just wondered what your own thoughts were.
Kind regards Frank
Well my own thoughts are..... they are very collectable and anything that does appear is snapped up. I can imagine that a "certain desk" on this forum can muster a good pile of bones..... but alas ..... only "the desk" will see them. Excuse my slightly bitter tone...... but the date of the HM and maker reveals much when it comes to the Other Ranks Motto.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-03-14, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Griff,
Tell me, I do know that in some regiments, in days gone by, some officers badges have been handed down, within the said regiment, with some CO's wanting their officers to wear "old" badges and this contributes to them actually being quite scarce, certainly within the foot guards and the famous South African regiment, the Imperial Light Horse, this has been true, do you know if this had ever taken place in the 17/21st?
Regards Frank
Hi Frank,

This might be the case with this example, thought to be pre 1900 version, marked S.Sil and mounted on a post WWII SD cap.

Hopefully this is not too far from the original purpose of this thread and I can add that the Gaunt marked Silver & Gilt cap badge I own is marked with P for plated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motto Stirling Silver mark.jpg (60.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg S. Silver motto small.jpg (58.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg lancers 3 m.jpg (61.5 KB, 11 views)

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 02-03-14 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 04:27 PM

Hello Griff,
Strange place to keep a collection really, but, yes I know what you mean, as Andy pointed out recently, "selfish" and "tedious" or was it "tiresome" I can't remember now!
Regards again Frank
Old 02-03-14, 04:37 PM

Hello Jerry,
That was exactly the sort of thing that I was thinking about, another lovely example too, I'm sorry Jerry, I was in no way trying to take George's thread into another area, but, I do now and have wondered for some time about this, in the case of the 17/21st, there must be a reason why they are so scarce, maybe, it's just the design of the badge, perhaps some people can't help but buy all they can find.
I would not blame them either!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Hi Frank,

This might be the case with this example, thought to be pre 1900 version, marked S.Sil and mounted on a post WWII SD cap.

Hopefully this is not too far from the original purpose of this thread and I can add that the Gaunt marked Silver & Gilt cap badge is marked with P for plated.
Old 03-03-14, 12:13 PM

Smile Gaunt Marking.

Hi Members.
Thanks to all for information. Quite a few replies and much appreciated.
What would I do without the Forum,
Regards to all.George.
Old 03-03-14, 12:53 PM

Hello George,
I can only say that has always been my belief, you don't see the P on their hallmarked badges.
Regards again Frank

Tags
gaunt