British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-22, 04:59 PM

Default Medical Surcoat & Armband Royal Naval?

O/K, I may need to apologise in advance as this could be 50/50 regards respectful?

The Falklands conflict was aired on the Television recently, didn’t get to catch it and you have “catch up” anyway, but caught a preview off a Royal Naval rating wearing a Red Cross-Surcoat similar to photo’s and Armband, as happens I came across one and bid on it, here it is, and now I come to the 50/50 bit regards respectability, as the item has I can only assume are Blood-stains?

Personally if I was on any of those Ships in the conflict, I could see me keeping an item like this as a momento, equally I could see me burning it!

Could this be a Falkland Islands survivor? I could see this in a display in the IWM, for what it means, appreciate your thought’s on this item? It could equally be only 20 years old of course, but have included Serial Number.

Many thanks Billy
Old 18-05-22, 05:29 PM

Contract No. SL31 - 1983 to 1990

The "blood stains" are most likely Betadine (Povidone-iodine) an antiseptic skin prep used to clean wounds and for skin disinfection before surgery.

In emergency surgical situations it get spashed around a lot and any that gets on surgical scrubs etc reacts with the starches in the clothing and produces dark stains. Most of these come out in the wash but if left too long will end up as permenant marks.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 18-05-22 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Contract dates