British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-10, 11:44 PM

Default Canada Post - Regular post going overseas

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any idea how long it would take a small package (badges of course!) to get from Canada to Australia via regular post?

I bought some nice badges via eBay but the clueless seller thought he would send them regular mail rather than airmail (annoys me to no end!).

2 months and still waiting....

Mick
Old 06-01-10, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mick, I have sent badges all over the world, from Japan, to Italy, the Netherlands, France, the UK, the US, and other destinations. By far the worst destination for postal time was Australia. It was often 6 weeks and more to have a small packet (surface) delivered. For some reason the service is notoriously slow from Canada to Australia, even more so by surface mail.
If you paid by paypal, I would file the claim to start the process, and then wait until the deadlines come up. Unfortunately, paypal must be claimed before the 8 weeks time that surface mail can take.
Old 06-01-10, 11:51 PM

Hi Mick,

According to Canada Post, and small packet delivered internationally via surface route should take 4-6 weeks. In my experience, 6-8 weeks for a package to Australia would be realistic. You're at the 8 week mark now - hope you get it tomorrow!

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 06-01-10, 11:51 PM

Hey Mick,

When people have paid insufficient postage it could well bounce back to them - if they have put their name and address on the outside of the envelope.

UK - Australia (no AIR MAIL sticker) can go 'surface' mail - but that would take around 6 weeks+ - as they wait until they have a container full ....

Hope this is of some help.

+ Anthony
Old 07-01-10, 12:01 AM

Thanks guys!

I think it's too late to start a PAYPAL claim (another reason why I dislike PAYPAL - one of many!). I'm just amazed that people don't consider airmail as the No 1 option for sending stuff overseas! I certainly wouldn't even consider surface mail for a small package. Or at least he should have offered me that option.

Mick

Last edited by slick_mick; 07-01-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-01-10, 01:19 AM

A friend of mine sent a book to Australia, it took 8 weeks and cost roughly C$20.00 to get there, by regular surface mail. My friend had checked to see how much it would cost to send "air mail", it came to about C$75.00.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 07-01-10, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empiretocommonwealth View Post
Hey Mick,

When people have paid insufficient postage it could well bounce back to them - if they have put their name and address on the outside of the envelope.

UK - Australia (no AIR MAIL sticker) can go 'surface' mail - but that would take around 6 weeks+ - as they wait until they have a container full ....

Hope this is of some help.

+ Anthony
In theory you are correct for the UK. However, Royal Mail will send everything by air, if there is room on a plane.

I regularly send items "Surface Small Packet" to Australia and the USA. I usually get ebay feedback in a week or so.

I have no idea about Canada though
Old 07-01-10, 04:53 AM

I sent a box via surface mail from South Africa to Canada and it took 3 months to arrive. It had left SA after 3 days and appears to have been stuck in the mid Atlantic for months, because once it arrived in Canada it seemed to proceed quickly. Surface mail from SA to New Zealand normally takes about a week, but I am sure that they ship it air mail regardless what you pay for. Have a grand day. Andrew
Old 07-01-10, 06:00 AM

If it was shipped in an "oversided enveloppe" it should take less than a month. (2 weeks or so...)

A package, well it depends if it was sent AIRMAIL or SURFACE

Airmail takes 2 weeks... count 3.

Surface takes forever... or is really fast.... they say up to 60 days.
But sometimes your package gets a first class ticket aboard a plane, meaning that they fill up the airmail bins with regular packages... I don't think they really take the boat... they just get their flight delayed for a long time!

I always send badges in an oversize envelope... but you can't get it insured that way.
Old 07-01-10, 02:29 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

I have been retired from the Post office for 19 years now, when I left there most everything went via air, we had a parcel post building right at Pearson Int. Airport where some of our fellows worked,I cannot say that all PP went via air but certainly all small items did and many of the large. It was just as cheap as sending it across country to the port of Vancouver then loading it on a boat for the East. I don't know what they do now. Maybe they have reverted back to surface mail as it was when I first started there. At one time large parcels had to go via surface
Old 07-01-10, 02:44 PM

Although many items go by air there are still some destinations that are by ship and Australia is one of these. Not only that but the Post Office doesn't send your parcels one at a time. They wait until they have a full container before shipping. This can sometimes have goods sent before Christmas arrive quickly - because there are more parcels going so less wait to fill a container - than after Christmas where it could take twice as long to fill the same container.
I ship my books around the world and I can send 'surface' to the UK and invariably it will arrive within 2 weeks but books shipped to Oz routinely take over 2 months.
Old 07-01-10, 03:03 PM

I sent copies of the book "Knowing No Fear" from Calgary to Australia and New Zealand.....

One copy to Australia got lost in transit..... Never to be seen again......

One copy to Australia took 7 1/2 Weeks.....

One copy to Australia took 12 Weeks.....

One copy to New Zealand took 5 Weeks.....

Now here's the kicker........ THEY WERE ALL MAILED ON THE SAME DAY.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 07-01-10, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Just a note. The vendor should offer to reimburse you even if you don't file a paypal claim. It is the ethical business practice and collector's thing to do.
Old 07-01-10, 10:11 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. Seems like Canada Post needs to lift their act.

And Bill A, yes he has offered a refund if they don't turn up. He has at least my respect for that.

Mick
Old 10-01-10, 12:44 AM

Default my experience

I had a small package come the opposite way a couple yrs ago, it came via sea mail. Took over 2 months, why? The packages come in LARGE containers. You have seen them on those large container ships. WHEN THE CONTAINER IS FULL IT GETS LOADED ONTO A SHIP & way it goes.
Depending upon how long it takes to fill up that container first is how long its going to take BEFORE it even gets onboard that ship,
you may get it in two months-------maybe!!
Bryan