British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-05-12, 01:50 PM

Default Wearing the red sash

Hello all

I was watching a video on another website of members of the Army Air Corps mounting guard at Windsor Castle.

I noticed that both the sergeant and the warrant officer were wearing red sashes. Until now, I thought that only sergeants and warrant officers of infantry regiments wore the sashes.

Could anyone explain why the AAC SNCO's/WO's do the same?

many thanks

L1A1
Old 31-05-12, 02:30 PM

Tha attached illustration, taken from Regiments at a Glance published in 1960 shows a Sgt of the Glider Pilot Regiment wearing the red sash.

I would suggest the AAC inherited the right to wear it from the GPR?

Postwarden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No1 Dress Para and GPR Wilson Regts at a Glance.jpg (77.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 31-05-12, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Tha attached illustration, taken from Regiments at a Glance published in 1960 shows a Sgt of the Glider Pilot Regiment wearing the red sash.

I would suggest the AAC inherited the right to wear it from the GPR?

Postwarden
Yes, that is correct. Also the original AAC was a large Corps that officially incorporated the GPR, the Parachute Regt and the SAS, all of whom were first and foremost trained as infantry.
Old 01-06-12, 07:40 AM

I don't think the red sash is just an infantrx item. The rmp alsn wore them in the 90s,also army apprentice sgts and wo's as well. Interestingly royal signals provost sgts wore the same sash but in blue.
Old 01-06-12, 08:52 AM

And, if memory serves, BLACK in the RTR.
Old 01-06-12, 08:57 AM

During my time in the RE's the Provost sgt wore a red sash also when a SNCO (SGT/SSGT) was Duty Officer they wore a red sash as I did many times.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 01-06-12, 09:07 AM

Royal Marines SNCO's and WO's also wear the Red Sash.
Old 01-06-12, 11:23 AM

Thank you so much gents, the connection to the Glider Pilot Regt certainly makes sense.

I did not know about the sashes worn by the Engineers, Signals and RTR, very interesting.

thanks once again for some excellent information
Old 01-06-12, 09:22 PM

To be technical, I was of the understanding that warrant officers' sashes in infantry units were (are) crimson, while sergeants' sashes are red.
Old 01-06-12, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I don't think the red sash is just an infantrx item. The rmp alsn wore them in the 90s,also army apprentice sgts and wo's as well. Interestingly royal signals provost sgts wore the same sash but in blue.
Red sashes are and have been for generations for the infantry and associated Corps (RM (from RMLI) SASC, RAPTC and AAC) only, as per clothing regulations for the Army. All other wearers are doing so illegally. That is not to say that a blind eye is not turned, but the fact remains that it is illegal.

As an example the enclosed photo shows two staff sergeants of an infantry battalion with red sash, but the regimental schoolmaster (who is not infantry) does not wear one. Addititionally a warrant officer staff clerk of the AOC who also does not wear one for the same reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corpsofarmyschoolmasters1.jpg (91.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg post-2272-12661733081.jpg (47.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 01-06-12 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-06-12, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dorosh View Post
To be technical, I was of the understanding that warrant officers' sashes in infantry units were (are) crimson, while sergeants' sashes are red.
That is correct Michael. Sergeants sashes are scarlet worsted and warrant officers sashes are crimson silk, although in both cases there are synthetic and or mixed material versions. These differences are not always observed unless the unit quartermaster takes the trouble to ensure that they are, but there are NSNs for both and the more conservative regiments are careful with their correct usage.

The crimson version is very distinctive, in that as well as its more rich colour it has a herringbone weave. Originally it was for Staff Sergeants, who before the creation of warrant officers were the generic group of senior sergeants above the rank of Colour Sergeant.

See enclosed images. The single picture is the warrant officers (originally staff sergeants) version and the pair is the sergeants worsted version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122-234-thickbox.jpg (61.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg !BsKERng!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-DIEvB95U86KBL2yqrh8,w~~_12.jpg (28.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 01-06-12 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-06-12, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
And, if memory serves, BLACK in the RTR.
Only the Sgt and S/Sgts on SDO duties wear a Black sash when doing the duty And that is also worn by those from the regiments attached arms doing the duty also.

Our ones are red ones dyed black as ive had to re- dye them some time back. Not one of the best jobs to do while being provost staff
Old 01-06-12, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankie2RTR View Post
Only the Sgt and S/Sgts on SDO duties wear a Black sash when doing the duty And that is also worn by those from the regiments attached arms doing the duty also.

Our ones are red ones dyed black as ive had to re- dye them some time back. Not one of the best jobs to do while being provost staff
I believe that RTR and Royal Signal sashes are unofficial and thus obtained under regimental arrangements. There is no NSN for them because as far as clothing regulations are concerned they do not exist. The only other official sash that I know of is the pale blue one that was approved for the RAF Regiment (only) at some point since WW2.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 05-06-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 02:13 AM

Thank you so much gents, I am amazed how much information came out of a simple question. I was totally unaware of the use of sashes by the Signals and RTR.

The reason I asked was that in the Australian Army, only infantry sergeants and warrant officers wear the sash. The only non infantry regiment that does is the S.A.S, but they originally started as part of the Royal Australian Regiment.

Thanks once again
Old 03-06-12, 07:40 AM

Default Just a thought

I wonder if it's perpetuating the Redcoat in some way , there's uasually a reason somewhere in antiquity for all these customs.