British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-12, 12:04 PM

Default British South Africa Police station wall plaque

This is a British South Africa Police station wall plaque used during the 1970s which I picked up from a friend during recent visit to Cape Town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British South Africa Police Station wall plaque.jpg (96.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 26-05-12, 08:03 PM

Nice one, where on earth will you keep it?
Bill
Old 18-08-12, 07:53 PM

Default BASP Womens Section

Good evening Ladies and gentlemen

I am looking for info/pictures on the BSAP womens section during WW2, I have found out that it was started in 1941, but thats all I have managed to find out! can anyone help? I need to know mainly what the womens uniform looked like, and what would their duties have been, but any infomation would greatly assist, as there is very little out there!?
Thanks
BM
Old 19-08-12, 05:55 AM

Greetings Badge Man.
They did indeed start out in 1941, as the 'Women's Auxiliary Police Service'
Disbanded at the end of WW2 , they were raised again in 1948 as the Southern Rhodesia Women's Police Service, when - as with the men - recruitment took place mainly from the UK.

I quote from 'The Regiment' - 'The History and Uniform of the BSA Police', by R.Hamley. Books of Africa (Pty) Ltd, Cape town 1971.

'The uniform of the auxiliary of 1941 was designed by a committee of male members of the Force . The resultant turn out of the trim and attractive wowen of the day led men to boast that this was yet more proof that the best couturiers were but mere males. The jacket and skirt were of grey worsted cloth with navy blue cuffs and shoulder straps and a cloth belt in grey. A grey shirt and a navy blue tie were also worn. the headgear was originally a grey field service cap with navy blue piping. This was replaced by a felt hat in October 1941. At the same time chromium plated buttons replaced those of brass.'

Their uniform did of course undergo a number of changes after that and I will see what I can find. As to duties, they were not content to be mere back office toilers and soon became involved in a far ranging number of police duties.

Regards

JohnG

Last edited by johnG; 19-08-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 19-08-12, 10:07 AM

Default BSAP Women Police

I attach three illustrations taken from the publication mentioned above, which show the 1941 uniform with the felt hat adopted in October of that year, and
a later modification of the uniform. The pill box like hat then gave way to a hat very much like that worn by an Airline Hostess, then came a stylish felt hat.

Edited to add: Oops, the second one fell over, and I can't work out how to re-post it.

JohnG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W.P.C. 1.jpg (45.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg W.P.C.2.jpg (35.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg W.P.C.3.jpg (36.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by johnG; 19-08-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 22-08-12, 07:34 AM

Hi John,
Thanks for the info I will look out for the book!
BM
Old 22-08-12, 08:24 AM

Hi BM,
The book does not give any more information on the women's police than I have mentioned, but is an good reference book for the development of the uniforms of the BSAP, right from the days of the Pioneer Column, the Mashonaland Mounted Police, Matabeleland Constabulary, and other early forces that developed into the BSAP, the uniform of BSAP Cadets, Field Reservists, and a lot more.
Regards,
John
Old 23-08-12, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Hi BM,
The book does not give any more information on the women's police than I have mentioned, but is an good reference book for the development of the uniforms of the BSAP, right from the days of the Pioneer Column, the Mashonaland Mounted Police, Matabeleland Constabulary, and other early forces that developed into the BSAP, the uniform of BSAP Cadets, Field Reservists, and a lot more.
Regards,
John
Thanks John, thats great you have been an imense help!
BM
Old 28-04-13, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman View Post
Good evening Ladies and gentlemen

I am looking for info/pictures on the BSAP womens section during WW2, I have found out that it was started in 1941, but thats all I have managed to find out! can anyone help? I need to know mainly what the womens uniform looked like, and what would their duties have been, but any infomation would greatly assist, as there is very little out there!?
Thanks
BM
Hi Badgeman, I did some research into the SRWAPS when going through some WWII period BSAP Outpost Magazines, I wrote out a short article on them, which I can forward to you as a PDF if you want.

Cheers

Wayne
Wales
Old 24-10-13, 11:15 PM

I am jealous very nice ... congrats