British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

View Poll Results: Anodised Aluminium - The 'No Bull' Cap Badge of the British Army
Yes - I would like to express probable intent to purchase. 66 58.93%
Maybe - I would like to express possible intent to purchase. 30 26.79%
No - Not my area of collecting interest. 16 14.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-10, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

It is just enamel on bog standard 'improved metal' the same as other modern badges. It is certainly not silver or officer quality gilt. I am not sure what the proper metalugical title is.
Old 07-06-10, 03:57 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Not to be rude Dave, but the scroll looks like it's been spray painted, and does not compare really to the other badge you posted, does it appear like this in real life?

ATB,
Tom
Hi Tom,

10 out of 10, go to the top of the class, that's exactly what it looks like, particularly when compared to others, such as the Scottish Yeomanry badge.

I'm going to drop the seller a line to see how he reacts, I think he was out of order saying it was silver, gilt and enamel !!

Dave.

PS, Chris, I apologise for hijacking your ' Poll ' page but you can see why I think it has been anodised, I hope ???

DC.

Last edited by davec2; 07-06-10 at 04:42 PM. Reason: PS
Old 07-06-10, 05:26 PM
Former Member

Default Waterloo & Normandy Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hello Alan,

I fully understand what you mean but in this case there is absolutely no comparison in the quality of finish, not in my view anyway and the King's Div is certainly not ' frosted ', your thoughts again please.

I will show the original listing when I have a more definitive answer ???

Dave.
PS, I might add that because of the description I put a snipe on this one and won it for.................................wait for it..............................over £20, looking at the badge in the flesh, so to speak, I have to wonder if it is worth that ????

DC.
Dave,
not the one of the most well made badges, but it is absolutely correct! Better described as "Silvered, gilt and enamelled".. Despite costing £20+ that is probably about right!! When you bear in mind the fact that the King's Division bands probably only number about 20-30 musicians at any one time it is a scare item! The bands were formed in 1994 so they've been in circulation quite a while..

Andy
Old 07-06-10, 05:56 PM

Cheers Andy,

Appreciate the confirmation, it's going in my album after all !!

I'll get off now and leave this page for Chris's Poll, sorry mate !

Dave.
Old 07-06-10, 06:07 PM

Default King's Division Band

Dave, before you go, here is an unused example with the matching collar badges for comparison:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg King's Div Band.jpg (43.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-06-10, 07:22 PM

Hello g_g_a,

I-dent-ical and aren't yours a lovely set, so now I've got to start collecting collars too ??

I'm sure that I've recently told someone I thought bandsmen didn't wear collars, or am I crossing wires again ??

Thanks for showing them, appreciated and of course, on top of Andy's confirmation, I feel a lot better !!

Dave.
Old 07-06-10, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Chris,

Sorry mate but ' dog ' and ' bone ' come to mind here !

I've just received this badge, described by the seller as ' silver, gilt and enamel ', well it does have enamel ? I'm not sure about the gilt and I'm pretty sure it isn't silver.

The badge is quite heavy, the same weight as my A/A London Scottish and only half the size...........................soooo, if it isn't Aluminium, do you know how the finish is achieved ?? this is a typical example of what I would call anodised, am I that far off from reality ??

After I receive a firm answer, I will of course, be contacting the seller, to ask him why he described it as silver when it is, in fact, only a silver effect !!

As always, your time is appreciated and you have my thanks in advance.

Dave.

PS, This badge, apparently, came through Marlowe's auctions so it must be silver, gilt and enamel !!

DC.
Hi Dave,

Late here due to time differences.

As stated - looks like a 'new metal' item to me.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-06-10, 05:54 PM

Hi,
I don't know where you are with your book project but you may wish to consider printing in China. I have done a number of books on militaria (http://www.servicepub.com) and find their work to be of quality and affordable. I use MCRL as an agent (http://www.mcrlprinting.com/). Although located in Canada I know that they did the work for a US collector and an Australian collector who each authored books on sun helmets and Wolseleys. Well worth getting a quote.
Clive
Old 09-06-10, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Hi,
I don't know where you are with your book project but you may wish to consider printing in China. I have done a number of books on militaria (http://www.servicepub.com) and find their work to be of quality and affordable. I use MCRL as an agent (http://www.mcrlprinting.com/). Although located in Canada I know that they did the work for a US collector and an Australian collector who each authored books on sun helmets and Wolseleys. Well worth getting a quote.
Clive
Thanks Clive,

I will certainly look into this - much appreciated. Currently working of photos which is turning out to be a lot harder and longer to do than was anticipated but I have some good tutoring and help in the matter from a forum member. Awaiting some new illumination equipment to test out and hopefully off again. Reflection of both external colour and form is a problem with these badges due to their high reflective finish and one that I would like to eradicate.

I have one tentative quote for printing but more are always welcome but still not absolutely sure of the final page count yet. One of the chapters will hopefully have an image at 1.5 times actual size of all badges officially authorised for issue. I am musing of also placing a reverse shot of the badge with the obverse. Of course not all reverse sides of badges are the same (and neither are the obverse sides) but it may be of interest to collectors to see what at least one reverse or punch die created for at least some badges for a particular unit. I don't know of any other British Army cap badge books that show the reverse sides of badges so this may well be a first too. This of course will increase the number of printed pages and unfortunately cost.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-06-10, 11:13 PM

I must have spent a king's ransom on photos, photographers, experiments, etc.., in the days before digital cameras. Now I think that I have it perfected. I take all photos outdoors, on an overcast day. I mount badges on a grey backboard (available from art supplies stores) and shoot. The grey fools the camera as it typically is looking for a balanced background which you wont get with a white backing. No problem with reflection or glare provided you are not in sunlight.
Good luck,
Clive
Old 10-06-10, 07:31 AM

Thanks Servicepub,

Here is a link to some test images I have been working on.

Some are OK but others still need a lot of work to get right:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=10561

Tried filming outside but the badges ended up an odd shade of green and black due to them reflecting the local vegetation, buildings etc. Hence the use now of interior lighting to set a standard operating environment for all images taken.

I'm sure it will all be worked out for publication though.

re: your name on the forum - do you deal in service publications and if so do you have the 1960 CCN?

Regards

Chris
Old 10-06-10, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Thanks Clive,

I will certainly look into this - much appreciated. Currently working of photos which is turning out to be a lot harder and longer to do than was anticipated but I have some good tutoring and help in the matter from a forum member. Awaiting some new illumination equipment to test out and hopefully off again. Reflection of both external colour and form is a problem with these badges due to their high reflective finish and one that I would like to eradicate.

I have one tentative quote for printing but more are always welcome but still not absolutely sure of the final page count yet. One of the chapters will hopefully have an image at 1.5 times actual size of all badges officially authorised for issue. I am musing of also placing a reverse shot of the badge with the obverse. Of course not all reverse sides of badges are the same (and neither are the obverse sides) but it may be of interest to collectors to see what at least one reverse or punch die created for at least some badges for a particular unit. I don't know of any other British Army cap badge books that show the reverse sides of badges so this may well be a first too. This of course will increase the number of printed pages and unfortunately cost.

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris,

Let your musings guide you to another first! With the attention to detail you are achieving in your book it will be unavoidable to show at least some relevant reverse sides, i.e. different makers dies, sliders and construction etc. Doubtlesly you will have that covered, but why not go the extra mile and show them all, considering the amount of interest in the reverse of badges? At least you won't regret not showing them once the book is out.
Don't let the additional workload be a put-off, when you have the photographic process properly sorted, and I know you are nearly there, the extra work will be quite managable. Reverse images in general will be easier to photograph then the obverse sides.
It would highly surprise me if the additional cost will be of influence to the poll results here.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 10-06-10, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Hi Chris,

Let your musings guide you to another first! With the attention to detail you are achieving in your book it will be unavoidable to show at least some relevant reverse sides, i.e. different makers dies, sliders and construction etc. Doubtlesly you will have that covered, but why not go the extra mile and show them all, considering the amount of interest in the reverse of badges? At least you won't regret not showing them once the book is out.
Don't let the additional workload be a put-off, when you have the photographic process properly sorted, and I know you are nearly there, the extra work will be quite managable. Reverse images in general will be easier to photograph then the obverse sides.
It would highly surprise me if the additional cost will be of influence to the poll results here.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Hi Fougasse1940,

I have pictures of every different slider (so far found) at maker level and lugs too. Some sliders seemed to be common to one or more maker but such an occurrence seems rare and probably due to acquisitions by parent companies where the slider was then standardised. Every maker mark (again, all that I can find) is also recorded both found stamped on the slider or cast to the body. One mark is stamped to the body too just for good measure - London Badge and Button Company on an Irish Guards example. However, all have to be retaken to get them up to standard.

More will come to light too as time goes on but there should be a good start to go on with.

Yes, it might be interesting to provide the reverse sides of the badges to be shown in the "Ducks In A Row..." chapter - these images do pair up nicely.

Good job its winter here...

Regards

Chris
Old 11-06-10, 12:44 AM

Quote:

re: your name on the forum - do you deal in service publications and if so do you have the 1960 CCN?

Regards

Chris
My small publishing firm, in Canada, is called Service Publications, which I found too long for an internet address, hence servicepub.
http://www.servicepub.com
Old 11-06-10, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Every maker mark (again, all that I can find) is also recorded both found stamped on the slider or cast to the body. One mark is stamped to the body too just for good measure - London Badge and Button Company on an Irish Guards example. However, all have to be retaken to get them up to standard.
Hi Chris,

Don't forget the combination of stamped and cast maker marks.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Jackets Bde.jpg (79.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Wessex Bde.jpg (82.8 KB, 8 views)