British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-09, 12:51 PM

Default North Stafford badge

Could I have opinions on this please as to originality.Thanks Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hj belt 118.jpg (86.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg hj belt 119.jpg (98.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 13-05-09, 02:49 PM

Default N. Staffs badge

Has it been heavily polished with lots of residue on the reverse? Some collectors like this, but I often think it is a way of disguising restrikes.
Old 13-05-09, 04:46 PM

An incredible amount of soldiers friend to the rear with the impression of many years of bull and polish. The front looks like it was made yesterday with no signs of wear or rubbing?!?!?! Hairs on back of neck are working overtime. On closer inspection the face has a couple of worrying die flaws. The C in ich dien and the S of Stafford. Also the brass knot is not complete as it is missing top left?
Cheers, Dave
Old 13-05-09, 05:07 PM

below my north staffordshire.

not from my grand father, buy at a french friend collector.

"i alway prefer badges with brazing holes, not a certitude that it is a genuine one, but .....

i hope it is good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1583-K678-G13.JPG (21.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg C1583-K678-G13-.JPG (21.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg C1583-K678-G13--.JPG (18.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 13-05-09, 05:41 PM

thanks for the replies as you say Frenchy it has no brazing holes, in hand there are signs of wear on the front on all the high points of the brass overlay which as you say Dave has lost its end, broken of,what are the die flaws on the C and the S I can't see any flaws thru a loupe but there again I don't know what I'm looking for the scroll ends on the back show wear as it's a curved badge.Thanks and regards Roger
Old 13-05-09, 05:51 PM
Former Member

Roger,
from the front I would give it 7 out of 10, it looks good! From the back I'm not so sure, I'm having dramas uploading photos so cannot back up my observations, apart from those already posted, I would also say that the "Ich" and "Dien" are further away from the coronet than on most of the other examples I have/or seen. The reverse of the lettering also looks shallow, I would not send it to the Restrike step, but would place it nearer to the end of the period of wear! There must be many patterns as this badge was in wear for nearly 60 years!

(I'll keep trying with photos!)

Andy
Old 13-05-09, 07:15 PM

Hi Roger,
the die flaws can come show themselves in a few ways, on areas of the badge that should be smooth there maybe pitting on the surface or more coomonly small blobs the size of a sand grain. The flaws can be a single blob or a line. The C of ICH has a small blob underneath it. The S has a flaw which runs underneath the S in Stafford in a straight line. I have atached a marked up image alongside your original image for comparison.
Cheers, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hj belt 118.jpg (86.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg hj belt 118 comment.JPG (87.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 14-05-09, 12:02 AM

I would have to agree with Andy on this one. Not a very good example, but it doesnt seem quite like a phony/restrike either.
It has been "soldier bent" in the manner of many badges that were worn on the service dress cap have been subjected to, which is a good sign.

CB
Old 14-05-09, 12:00 PM

Many thanks to all who replied, as a novice collector it was most enlightening,comparing it to Frenchy's badge the ich dien are farther out,the back view may be misleading as its full of some sort of pink crud which does make the lettering look shallow.The line thru the S is two spots of crud lodged in the lettering and the blob under the C is the light striking the dimpling and making one dimple reflect.The reason I asked about this badge was because I bought a WW1 pair of medals his brass shoulder titles with hexagonal lugs,the badge and a small photo of him.The badge in the photo is not as this one so please have a look at the photo it does not appear to have a motto under the plumes.Thanks and regards Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hj belt 121.jpg (77.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by RMR; 14-05-09 at 12:02 PM. Reason: brain faster than typing finger
Old 14-05-09, 12:45 PM

Hi RMR
The chap is wearing a South Staffordshire Badge not North Staffordshire.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 14-05-09, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, the photo is South Staffordshires and is WW1 while the first badge shown is NStaffs and probably of WW2 era.

Alan
Old 14-05-09, 07:45 PM

I can't understand why the left hand "tail" of the knot is white metal. To me it looks as though the badge has been painted. I don't think the RSM in my time would have been happy to see that one being worn on parade.
Old 14-06-09, 01:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies I've a lot to learn
Old 14-06-09, 02:02 PM
guest456

Default N. Staffords

As a word of caution before dismissing this badge - please remember that the North Staffordshire cap badge (and button) remained unchanged from its inception around 1895 until the advent of anodised aluminium. As a consequence, many different manufacturers and, consequently, many different dies must have been used over the years, some more accurate than others, some better finished quality than others. Very few British army regiments can claim the same badge for the length of time appropriate to this regiment. It may be that the badge in question is simply 'different' to others held by forum members - understandable if the time scale is borne in mind. Just a thought ! GD

Last edited by guest456; 14-06-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 13-07-18, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest456 View Post
As a word of caution before dismissing this badge - please remember that the North Staffordshire cap badge (and button) remained unchanged from its inception around 1895 until the advent of anodised aluminium. As a consequence, many different manufacturers and, consequently, many different dies must have been used over the years, some more accurate than others, some better finished quality than others. Very few British army regiments can claim the same badge for the length of time appropriate to this regiment. It may be that the badge in question is simply 'different' to others held by forum members - understandable if the time scale is borne in mind. Just a thought ! GD

It's impossible to argue with that but "all that crud on the back" is wrong, wrong, wrong as badges were removed from headdress for polishing and any brasso etc on the back was always brushed off as it would otherwise mark the hat .