British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-18, 09:13 PM

Default Hello Everyone

This is a very interesting and informative site, very impressive.

I am new to the "collecting" of military badges and medals. I have some of my own as a retired member of the RCAF reserve plus I have inherited several from my great-grandfather, father, and great uncles. I have had these for years but only recently began to do anything with them. My focus to this point has been more genealogical.

I am currently filling in the uniform details of one of my Great Uncles. He was a member of the PPCLI from 1915 until he was KIA in Avion France March 1918. I have several of his medals plus a brass Canada shoulder title and one collar dog.

I have acquired a Marguerite cap badge to add to my planned display. I was told it was from the WW1 period but I am no expert. There are quite a number of differences between it and others I have seen online.
I have read in these forums about the problem of reproductions/and fakes but would not necessarily be able to distinguish one from another.

I have attached images of my acquisition.

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPCLI_IMG_7063.jpg (85.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg PPCLI_IMG_7069.jpg (94.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PPCLI_IMG_7071.jpg (66.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PPCLI_IMG_7075.jpg (77.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 16-04-18, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Nick, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The badge you have imaged is the correct pattern for the PPCLI during the First WW.
Could you image the collar badge?
Old 17-04-18, 12:00 AM

Thanks Bill,

The collar dog is just the standard common maple leaf, nothing special. My Great Uncle Jack was a private.

He was wounded (GSW to the upper arm) and wore a single wound stripe. Above it is a bomber badge or trench mortarman badge? The ball is dark and the flames are light almost white. Red in the photo would appear as very dark as on the PPCLI shoulder patch background.

The photo was taken in the summer of 1917.

See attached.

Cheers,

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPCLI-John(Jack)SleeveDetail.jpg (57.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 17-04-18, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Nick, great to see the insignia. The grenade badge is a bomber badge. Trench mortars were a dedicated unit, not an infantry battalion task.
Old 17-04-18, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the information Bill. A question about the colour. Would the ball be red with off white flames? Or would it be some other colour?

Thanks again,

nick
Old 11-05-18, 02:04 PM

Hello! I really like your forum! in just a few hours spent here I learned so much new for myself! Be sure to tell my husband about you, he is a little obsessed with the topic of military badges.