British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-18, 01:19 AM

Default 10th Australian Light Horse Regiment (Victorian Mounted Rifles) 1900 - 1912

Hi,

This is my original set of hat and collar badges for the 10th Australian Light Horse Regiment (Victorian Mounted Rifles) worn between 1900 - 1912.

I would very much like to acquire/purchase/buy the missing right facing collar badge, so I can complete the set.

If someone has a spare collar badge and would like to part with it, could you please send me a personal message.

Many thanks,

Invest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th ALHR VMR 1900 - 1912.jpg (56.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 21-02-18, 06:49 AM

Wow, nice badges Investment. Sorry I can't help with the collar and I don't think I ever had a shoulder title for 10 LH (VMR).
Keith
Old 21-02-18, 08:19 AM

Many thanks Keith,

I was recently able to add the hat badge with the smaller horse, so I thought I'd ask if a spare collar might be available out there in badge world.

I haven't even considered the shoulder titles yet, one step at a time

Cheers,

Invest

Last edited by Investment; 21-02-18 at 11:30 PM.
Old 15-11-18, 03:13 AM

Default 10th Australian Light Horse Regiment (Victorian Mounted Rifles) 1900 – 1912

Hi,

I was able to purchase the right facing collar badge recently, so here is the complete set, minus the shoulder titles, which are out there in badge world somewhere, still looking for them

Cheers,

Invest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th ALHR VMR 1900 - 1912.jpg (47.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Investment; 15-11-18 at 03:20 AM.
Old 15-11-18, 04:17 AM

well done mate
that's a lovely set
thanks for showing
bc
Old 15-11-18, 04:25 AM

Very nice indeed
Old 15-11-18, 07:47 AM

I have often wondered whether the badge with the smaller horse could be regarded as an officer cap badge rather than a different pattern of OR hat badge. I have seen designated CAP badges for the 4th, 7th(two types), 8th, 12th, and 16th. There could well be others as well.
Old 15-11-18, 08:29 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Very nice, you have invested wisely !!

Regards Phil.
Old 15-11-18, 08:44 AM

I am green with envy
Old 15-11-18, 10:44 PM

Many thanks to badgecollector, Jackhr, Lancer 17 and johnG for all your positive comments
Old 15-11-18, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I have often wondered whether the badge with the smaller horse could be regarded as an officer cap badge rather than a different pattern of OR hat badge. I have seen designated CAP badges for the 4th, 7th(two types), 8th, 12th, and 16th. There could well be others as well.
Hi kingsley,

I remember many years ago, Paddy O'Brien, showing me the cap badge for the 8th Australian Light Horse Regiment (VMR), which was basically the hat badge minus the bottom script.

I've just posted pictures of the late Robert (Bob) Gray's collection of Australian Light Horse Regiment badges, which show badge variations for the 3rd, 7th, 9th and 16th.

Cheers,

Invest

Last edited by Investment; 16-11-18 at 01:42 AM.
Old 16-11-18, 04:03 AM

Bob Gray's photo shows a 9th cap badge, one that was not on the above list. I have seen the 8th variety you mention, but I believe it was a standard hat badge with the bottom scrolls broken off. The 8th cap badge I have seen is the same design as the collar badge but slightly larger.
Coming back to my original question: can we safely assume that the 10th with the small horse is really a CAP badge?
Old 16-11-18, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Coming back to my original question: can we safely assume that the 10th with the small horse is really a CAP badge?
It may be nice to think it's a cap badge (myself included), but I would need some form of evidence, either photographic or some type of period written military order to say so, before I safely make a call on whether it is or isn't a cap badge.
Old 16-11-18, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment View Post
It may be nice to think it's a cap badge (myself included), but I would need some form of evidence, either photographic or some type of period written military order to say so, before I safely make a call on whether it is or isn't a cap badge.
agree, would need more evidence.
i believe its just a manufacturers variation. different manufacturers with slight variations
bc
Old 17-11-18, 09:42 AM

Here is a picture from my badge file showing a cap badge and pair of collar badges for the 8th ALH, sorry for the poor quality image.
I very much doubt if a different smaller sized 10ALH cap badge exists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8thALHcap.jpg (50.2 KB, 9 views)