British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-18, 06:37 AM

Default 13th LH Real or fake

Hi,

I've attached some photo's of an unofficial 13th LH badge that I'm considering purchasing. I'm not 100% sure if it's real: It looks pretty good to me, but the finish seems a bit weird. The dealer swears it's legit. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0096.jpg (58.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 0116.jpg (60.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 0125.jpg (57.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00510.jpg (37.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 20-01-18, 04:23 PM

Hello DMKR,

I have this one which was cleaned I think......
good evening

Jean-Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13th Australian Light Horse (1).jpg (88.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 20-01-18, 11:02 PM

Hi jean-paul Vermersch,

Thanks for the reply. Yours looks the same as the one held in a museum collection in Victoria and has a similar finish. I'd presume the LH badge in the museum collection would have impeccable provenance. The one I'm looking at buying doesn't have the same finished look which concerns me. https://victoriancollections.net.au/...ea6824b8d5e646

Admittedly I should have posted this in the Australian section rather than Canadian. Newbie mistake - sigh.

Mods: Could you please move this thread to: Australian Military Insignia, Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VictorianCollections 13 LH.jpg (115.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 27-01-18, 05:42 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day DMKR

I have had another look at the dancing Devil from the 4th/19th LH Museum at Simpson Barracks Watsonia and it has the separation between the spear and the ear and also between the spike" on the same side and the knee and does not have a "web" between the "spike" and the knee or the "spike" below, so Id say that it is also a good one.

I also volunteer at the Sigs Museum also at Simpson Barracks where we have a team of about a dozen and whilst the others know about the radios etc and I don't, Im the only one who knows anything about the uniforms, badges and medals etc.

I also know the couple of old guys who run the 4th/19th museum but don't know what their strengths or weaknesses are but I would not rely upon their knowledge of the provenance of their Devil as being impeccable.

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 27-01-18 at 06:14 AM.
Old 27-01-18, 06:05 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKR View Post
Hi,

I've attached some photo's of an unofficial 13th LH badge that I'm considering purchasing. I'm not 100% sure if it's real: It looks pretty good to me, but the finish seems a bit weird. The dealer swears it's legit. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
G'day DMKR

I have had a good look at your devil and also the one below by and have compared them both with mine which I got from a well known Melbourne dealer in the early 1970's, who is now deceased and who assured me that it was ok.

Now mine has an all over dark oxidised finish, where as yours is mostly
rubbed off and has a glossy finish.

Yours has a separation between the spear and the ear and there is a separation between the "spike" and the knee on the same side, however the one below has the spear attached to the ear and there is a "web" between the "spike" and the knee and the next "spike" down.

In summary I accept that mine is ok
DMKR, I'd say that yours is a good one also.
But sorry Jean-Paul, Id say that yours is a repro.

Regards

Phil.
Old 28-01-18, 05:23 PM

Thank you very much for your reply Lancer.

They are such a great looking badge. The dealer swears it's real and I've bought enough from him that he'd be happy to let me return it if I had doubts.

He also said it's copper not brass

Thanks again.