British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-16, 04:23 PM

Default KRRC - Long Slider

Linking, tangentially, to the recent thread concerning the long-sidered version Leicestershire badge, I thought members might be interested to comment on the KRRC example below (standard KK675).

The slider measures just over the 45mm mark, in evidence on the Leicesters badge, coming in at approx. 48mm. A tad anoraky, I admit, but the whole topic is, in my opinion, quite fascinating in its own right, as any member who took time the read some of the excellent posts submitted in the Leicesters thread might agree. I have had this badge for a good few years, but never really noticed the length of the slider until after the Leicesters thread.

KRRC 1a.jpgKRRC 1b.jpg
KRRC 1c.jpgKRRC 1d.jpgKRRC 1e.jpg

With thanks,

JT
Old 02-02-16, 04:42 PM

That is interesting, I also have the same long slider - my slider is a tad over 47mm.

I have never fully understood the KK675/KK2011 difference, is it possible it relates to that? (I know there is a school of thought that has KK675 as the KC T-E-B version and KK2011 the Ladysmith version, so I may be way off track)

Or is it simply a manufacturing thing?

Love to hear some opinions.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4292.jpg (46.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4293.jpg (51.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-02-16, 05:32 PM

I still haven't got around to looking up my slider lengths. I thought measure my sliders as eg 35/10 - meaning that 35mm is the toptal length and that 10 is the part of that that extends below the badge ! I think it has a bearing on what kind of cap etc that they were worn on.
Old 02-02-16, 05:42 PM

I remember you telling me that some time ago Julian, and I thought it a very good idea.

Mine is 40/7 ( the 7 being measured from the "V" on the cross)

Tim

Last edited by Chipper; 02-02-16 at 05:43 PM. Reason: grammar fail.
Old 02-02-16, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
I still haven't got around to looking up my slider lengths. I thought measure my sliders as eg 35/10 - meaning that 35mm is the toptal length and that 10 is the part of that that extends below the badge ! I think it has a bearing on what kind of cap etc that they were worn on.
Yes, but that's because you're a professor of Hyperultramegasuperology, and we're just waste skin

We just say things like:

[voice a la Huxley's Epsilon caste] ' It's about forty-five mil...'

Old 02-02-16, 07:02 PM

I don't know what the result of this will be but in the interest of numbers mine is the same. Badge height 55mm, slider 47+ish with 7mm projecting past the lowest part of the cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
That is interesting, I also have the same long slider - my slider is a tad over 47mm.

I have never fully understood the KK675/KK2011 difference, is it possible it relates to that? (I know there is a school of thought that has KK675 as the KC T-E-B version and KK2011 the Ladysmith version, so I may be way off track)

Or is it simply a manufacturing thing?

Love to hear some opinions.

Tim
K&K can be somewhat confusing in that different reference numbers can be used for the same badge (look at the HPCs).

I think the badge that we are discussing is KK675 which is the same as KK2011, i.e. the Ladysmith version. KK674 I think is the Tel-el-Kebir version with loops the same size as the QVC badge at 45mm. I think KK omitted the slightly larger T-el-K badge at 50mm usually found with a slider.
Old 02-02-16, 07:41 PM

Default Slider length measurements

Hello Julian

It is indeed interesting to read about how you measure sliders on your KLR badges, something I think you have referred to before on the Forum. Am I correct in assuming that the length of that part extending below the bottom of the badge is what is more significant, in as much as this would determine how the badge in question would sit on something like the Peaked Forage Cap? Therefore, it is not the overall length of a longer slider that would be of greatest importance, but rather this length from the bottom of the badge? You do say you think this “has a bearing on what kind of cap etc that they were worn on.” Perhaps you could clarify I’m understanding things correctly here please?

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 02-02-16, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Maclean View Post
I don't know what the result of this will be but in the interest of numbers mine is the same. Badge height 55mm, slider 47+ish with 7mm projecting past the lowest part of the cross.

K&K can be somewhat confusing in that different reference numbers can be used for the same badge (look at the HPCs).

I think the badge that we are discussing is KK675 which is the same as KK2011, i.e. the Ladysmith version. KK674 I think is the Tel-el-Kebir version with loops the same size as the QVC badge at 45mm. I think KK omitted the slightly larger T-el-K badge at 50mm usually found with a slider.
Jim,

I completely agree that K&K can be confusing at times.

If I may, I'd like to offer the following as evidence that both the looped and slidered KK674 'TEK' badges measure 50mm (see images below).

The first image shows KK675 (55mm approx.) in the centre, with an example of KK674 either side. Badge 'A' is the slidered variant of KK674, and badge 'C' is one of the two the looped variants I am aware of.

TEK 2.jpg

These next three images show the heights of the badges in the above images.

(ANORAKS ON NOW, PLEASE!)

TEK 3.jpg TEK 4.jpgTEK 5.jpg

It is my understanding (happy to be corrected) that the 45mm 'TEK' is extremely rare. I am yet to see one in the flesh, and hope that perhaps a forum member may be able to provide us with an example to drool over look at.

[Apologies for the poorly-lit images].
Old 02-02-16, 09:10 PM

JT

The reason I made that post about the size differences in KRRC badges is that I was unaware of the 50mm KRRC badge until a couple of weeks ago reading through old posts here.

I don't have an example of the 50mm badge, I do however have a 45mm KC example. The light at the moment is really not good enough for a photo, however tomorrow I shall take a picture alongside both my QVC examples.

It has been said on here before how rare it is and to be honest I didn't even know I had one until I was sorting through an old box a couple of months ago.

As an extra, if we can assume that KK illustrations are to scale (at least on the same page) then KK 673 and KK674 are both the same size and KK675 is way bigger. This is why I believe KK missed the 50mm badge

Last edited by Jim Maclean; 02-02-16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 09:17 PM

Quote:
JT

The reason I made that post about the size differences in KRRC badges is that I was unaware of the 50mm KRRC badge until a couple of weeks ago reading through old posts here.

I don't have an example of the 50mm badge, I do however have a 45mm KC example. The light at the moment is really not good enough for a photo, however tomorrow I shall take a picture alongside both my QVC examples.

It has been said on here before how rare it is and to be honest I didn't even know I had one until I was sorting through an old box a couple of months ago.
Understood, Jim. Appreciate your replies.

Very much looking forward to seeing your badge, as when convenient. Is it your intention to photograph it alongside the more common KK675, for purposes of scale?

All the best,

JT.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 02-02-16 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Understood, Jim. Appreciate your replies.

Very much looking forward to seeing your badge, as when convenient. Is it your intention to photograph it alongside the more common KK675, for purposes of scale?

All the best,

JT.
I'll give the best idea of scale I can (673, 674, 675)
Old 03-02-16, 02:47 PM

Alongside the QVC badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2020.jpg (84.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-02-16, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Alongside the QVC badge
Super stuff, Jim. Many thanks for that.

How are the loops configured on your KK674? I assume they are e/w, but are they both on the upper arm of the cross, or one on the left arm, and one on the right arm of the cross?

With thanks.
Old 03-02-16, 05:46 PM
Former Member

JT,
here is mine showing the lugs

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=kk674

Andy
Old 03-02-16, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
JT,
here is mine showing the lugs