British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-20, 05:50 PM

Default Royal Marine Badge Identification

I have a Royal Marine badge which I intend to sell, but to the life of me cannot find any historical information or even if it’s genuine. It looks like an officers badge with the Plymouth Prince of Wales plume, it has a Queen Victoria Crown but it’s only 2” high by 1 5/8” wide with two rear lugs. Photo attached, does anyone have any info on this.
Thanks
E23A659B-36A5-45B1-848C-C50A9CAB17ED.jpg
Old 07-12-20, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Smada, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 08-12-20, 06:37 AM

I think that is a made up badge. The star size and style is the same as often worn by civilian bands such as the British Legion. I suspect someone has taken one of those stars and added the RM insignia to make up a realistic looking badge.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-12-20, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
I think that is a made up badge. The star size and style is the same as often worn by civilian bands such as the British Legion. I suspect someone has taken one of those stars and added the RM insignia to make up a realistic looking badge.
Cheers,
Alex
Agreed - a 'fantasy' item.
Old 08-12-20, 08:26 AM

Default Any ideas on this badge?

I’m at a loss to find any information about this badge other than it’s Royal Marines, Queen Victoria Crown and has the Plymouth Prince of Wales plume. It’s only 2”” high, 1 5/8” wide so certainly not a helmet plate. Quite intricate to suggest an Officer. Why would anyone take the effort to make this badge up if it’s not pukka.
Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E76055D2-582F-421D-AF4D-186963A27759.jpg (54.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-12-20, 03:55 PM

Here are two examples of the Victorian Crown civilian bandsman badge for comparison.

Tim
Old 08-12-20, 04:02 PM

Default Made up badge

I understand the comments regarding the nature of the badge but as per the attached photos of the rear it does not look like it was cobbled together. Maybe it was for some type of RM Association. If it is made up they did a terrific job. Any other ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2E18CB5B-D299-4390-84FC-48C75FD666CA.jpg (88.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg B1AD3F8B-BFB9-4D12-8A66-005E1ED5463D.jpg (80.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-12-20, 04:08 PM

Default Strange Badge

Tim, just seen your reply, thanks. The background of the badge seems identical to your photos including size. Does this mean it’s a Plymouth bandsman cap badge and if so Victorian?
Old 08-12-20, 05:45 PM

Smada

Agree with all the opinions so far that it is a made up fantasy badge. I doubt if it was made up to deceive anyone but think it is more a case of being made up for wear as a brooch or possibly for a loved one. The back plate is a generic Victorian crown badge worn by numerous civilian bands and the fact that it has a Victorian crown by does not mean it was made in that era, similar badges are still made and worn today. The main thing that confirms it does not come from the Victorian era is the fact that the Royal Marines Officer's mess dress collar badge that has been attached to the backing plate only came into service in 1923 when the Royal Marine Artillery and Royal Marines Light Infantry merged. I cannot see the bottom of the Prince of Wales's feathers so cannot confirm if they are the correct pattern. Personally I would say it was made up by someone with an association to the Plymouth band. Not genuine but still a nice badge as a curio and I might be interested depending on the price.

Paddy
Old 08-12-20, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smada View Post
I understand the comments regarding the nature of the badge but as per the attached photos of the rear it does not look like it was cobbled together. Maybe it was for some type of RM Association. If it is made up they did a terrific job. Any other ideas?
Hi Smada, the back gives it away, definately a cut and shunt. There are 2 holes to the rear that on a victorian badge could be used as blow holes. But the front devices are small enough to not need them. In the case of the anchor, the hole is wider than the anchor so would be visible which would not happen. A second option would be for a mechanical fitting, blades or a screw used to secure the front device none of which are present. If the badge were as it were originally made these holes are totally pointless and would not be there. The third option which i beleive is the case is the holes were used to fix another device to the front which for whatever reason has been removed or lost. Common practice for some people to make up spurious badges from a box of broken, damaged or incomplete badges to catch the attention of someone thinking they have found something rare. Been there, seen it, bought it got the T-shirt so one to be put down to experience.

Keep smiling, soon be christams, Dave
Old 08-12-20, 10:30 PM

Default Fantasy Badge

Thanks to everyone for their information, very grateful as I would not want to pass this as a genuine article. I’m totally new to using a forum, probably guessed from my random posts. Do I close this thread down? If so how.

Tags
royal marines badge