British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-17, 03:59 PM

Default Navy rank

Does anybody know what rank this is on one site he is an Engine Room Artificer 2nd class. Hopefully the photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 26-05-17, 04:39 PM

Difficult to say, can you take a close up of his head and cap badge and post that please?
Old 26-05-17, 05:10 PM

The badge on the cap looks like a single Anchor inside a circle surmounted by a Crown.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 26-05-17 at 07:59 PM.
Old 26-05-17, 07:38 PM

Petty Officer

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-05-17, 10:55 PM

Yep, Petty Officer.
Old 27-05-17, 01:10 AM

The top jacket button looks as though it is black, I think the other two have a reflection.
There does not appear to be any rank badge on the left sleeve so I would say that the cap badge is Class 3 and our man is an Artificer Apprentice.
There again he may be a Writer/Steward etc., if only we could see his right sleeve.

Last edited by Jim Maclean; 27-05-17 at 12:35 PM. Reason: can't tell left from right
Old 27-05-17, 12:24 PM

He looks very young to be an ERA2 class to me, more like an ERA 5th/4th class or Apprentice.

ERA & EA's wore no rank or rate badges, so its hard to tell exactly what they were. They were rated as Petty Officers but wore the red Class III cap badge, & the Chief ERA's wore the gold CPO cap badge.

If he was a Writer, Cook or Steward he would have worn a rate star on his right sleeve. Those rates also wore rank badges on their left sleeves.

Its hard to tell exactly what this rating was based on the photo alone,

Bryan
Old 29-05-17, 09:37 AM

Here is a group photo, taken late-1918 or early-1919, likely at Chatham.

One of my great-grandfather's was then an ERA4. He is seated on the end of front row.

I notice that there is a difference in the style of the jackets, between those on the ends and those towards the centre. Would this be due to class of ERA?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN group cropped.jpg (59.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 29-05-17, 01:05 PM

That's a nice photo Doug. They could either wear a single or double breasted tunic, depends on what order of dress was determined for that day - it was referred to as - "rig of the day".

The two centre ratings are CPO ERA's, at that time frame only Chief ERA, Chief EA, & MAA's wore the three gilt cuff buttons.
That changed after 1WW(1920) when the CPO cap badge was altered to the laurel leaves around the anchor & CPO's of all branches wore the three gilt cuff buttons.

Bryan
Old 29-05-17, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post

I notice that there is a difference in the style of the jackets, between those on the ends and those towards the centre. Would this be due to class of ERA?
Doug one could not tell what class an ERA or EA was just by looking at his uniform tunic jacket as the ERA & EA's wore no rank or rate badges.
The Chief ERA & EA of course wore the three gilt sleeve buttons, so an observer would know the wearer was one of those two rates.

The ER's in that photo could represent all of the various classes of ERA's. Normally (at that time frame) from ERA 4th to 1st class, plus the Chief ERA class I & II, & as I recall by 1WW the Chief ERA had dropped the class designation, now just Chief ERA.

Bryan
Old 29-05-17, 01:14 PM

Doug -- I forgot to mention - the two Chief ERA's in the centre are wearing on their right cuffs above the gilt buttons what was called War Service Chevrons, they denoted war service, one for each year of the war - the 1914 chevron was red & the others were blue.

& the Chief ERA on the right centre (holding cigarette) wears on his left cuff above the buttons what appears to be a wound stripe. He could have rec'd his wound at any of the engagements the RN saw during the war, but I would guess at Jutland (31May - 1 Jun 1916)

Bryan
Old 30-05-17, 06:35 AM

Thank you for the insights Bryan, they are appreciated!