British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-15, 07:36 PM

Default WW1 Family Tree Research Completed

So after 10 months of work, I spent my day off today completing my final piece of research.
A great cousin who was a Sherwood Forester(7th Bn-the Robin Hoods) missing in action on 21st March 1918, killed at the start of the German Spring Offensive. The Robin Hoods suffered massive losses, with only 14 OR escaping unwounded.
The final piece of the puzzle was found this morning when via the Red Cross, I discovered he wasn't taken prisoner as many were but was killed in action and his I.D tag recovered from his body by the Germans in the following days. He is commemorated on the Arras memorial.
He is one of nine in my family tree who didn't come home.

And not forgetting the eighteen in my family who did come home, including both my granddad's, one a boy soldier who joined up before the war aged 15 for an adventure, the other a married man with children who joined up in 1915 and did more than his bit despite being classed C III.

So I am raising a littleish glass of Jameson's to all my boy's, glad I found you, you won't be forgotten while I'm still around.

Now what am I going to do?? Oh yeah badges, I guess
Old 04-09-15, 07:44 PM

Fantastic effort, Alli. I know from my research into my family, it is a labour of love, but deeply satisfying to piece it all together.

I have been up to the WW1 Battlefields on many occasions, and can honestly say, if you haven't, it is well worth the trip, especially if you have family buried there. Just bring tissues.

Great work

Tim
Old 04-09-15, 08:07 PM

Thanks Tim, not much blood or sweat but plenty of tears.

I have done bits of the Somme but hoping to do Ypres next year, lots to do, and respects to pay.

Do feel a bit deflated now though.

PS Have a look at my album on my profile Excalibur has landed
Old 04-09-15, 08:45 PM

Magnificent. Hopefully Mr Postman will have one more for you next week
Old 04-09-15, 08:53 PM

Thank you! And I was just going to say yes I am excited about getting a French letter ...and I said it anyway

Right lets do this properly, I am very much looking forward to seeing what the post brings from abroad his week.

There, done, innuendo free!
Old 04-09-15, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
So after 10 months of work, I spent my day off today completing my final piece of research.
A great cousin who was a Sherwood Forester(7th Bn-the Robin Hoods) missing in action on 21st March 1918, killed at the start of the German Spring Offensive. The Robin Hoods suffered massive losses, with only 14 OR escaping unwounded.
The final piece of the puzzle was found this morning when via the Red Cross, I discovered he wasn't taken prisoner as many were but was killed in action and his I.D tag recovered from his body by the Germans in the following days. He is commemorated on the Arras memorial.
He is one of nine in my family tree who didn't come home.

And not forgetting the eighteen in my family who did come home, including both my granddad's, one a boy soldier who joined up before the war aged 15 for an adventure, the other a married man with children who joined up in 1915 and did more than his bit despite being classed C III.

So I am raising a littleish glass of Jameson's to all my boy's, glad I found you, you won't be forgotten while I'm still around.

Now what am I going to do?? Oh yeah badges, I guess
Well done, and thanks for sharing your history with us. Great stuff.

Lest we forget.

N
Old 04-09-15, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Thanks Tim, not much blood or sweat but plenty of tears.

I have done bits of the Somme but hoping to do Ypres next year, lots to do, and respects to pay.

Do feel a bit deflated now though.

PS Have a look at my album on my profile Excalibur has landed
Well Done on the research ... can only suggest that, if and when you do manage to get to Ypres, have a visit to the Essex Farm Cemetery. There is a grave there of Valentine Joe Strudwick, KIA aged 15 years ... brings home the pity of it all.

Ritchie.
Old 04-09-15, 09:23 PM

Thank you

Alli
Old 04-09-15, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
Well Done on the research ... can only suggest that, if and when you do manage to get to Ypres, have a visit to the Essex Farm Cemetery. There is a grave there of Valentine Joe Strudwick, KIA aged 15 years ... brings home the pity of it all.

Ritchie.
Thank you
I will, it's going to be very emotional.
Old 04-09-15, 10:03 PM

Smile Good work

Well done on the research.

Rob
Old 04-09-15, 10:19 PM

Thanks Rob
Old 04-09-15, 11:06 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

If you do manage to get to Ypres, I would suggest visiting the museum at Sanctuary Wood. I would also note that John McCrae wrote his famous poem 'In Flanders Field' at Essex Farm. Not many miles away, you will find the grave of Noel Chavasse (one of my heroes and certainly one of the bravest men in WW1... A double VC and a MC as a non combatant is stunning!). Finally, the last post at the Menin Gate will prove to be an emotional and thought provoking experience......tears will fall. Enjoy!
Regards
James
Old 05-09-15, 07:21 AM

Cheers James, yes Sanctuary Wood is on the list as I want as much as possible to follow in my granddads footsteps and he was there with 4th Middlesex in 1915. I will have a read up on Noel Chavasse.

And I will be packing a lot of tissues!

Alli
Old 05-09-15, 08:18 AM

Well done on the research and it seems that your forebears did more than their fair share.

Jerry
Old 05-09-15, 10:53 AM

Thank you Jerry, lots to be proud of for sure.

WW2 next I guess, already have a head start with my granddad who served in both wars. And a few other leads.

Also on a selfish note, more book and badge buying opportunities

Alli