British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-21, 05:05 AM
atillathenunns's Avatar
atillathenunns atillathenunns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,334
Default Origins of the iconic Lemon squeezer display.

I have posted this on a local group chat, but think its worthy of posting here as well-

Today was the monthly meeting of the Wellington Antique Arms and display letters were L, O and P.
So my display was "Lemon squeezer Origins solved with Photographic evidence."

Left of the ceremonial hat are 4 WW1 squeezers of the Wellington Battalion NZEF of which 2 are British made and 2 are NZ made, and 4 WW2 squeezers to the right of which 2 are British made and 2 are NZ made.

For those lemon squeezer purists there is one anomaly with one of my squeezers, but most wont know the difference.

Lemon Squeezer collection 2021.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-21, 12:20 AM
Noiseboyz3 Noiseboyz3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 145
Default

The very small Lemon Squeezer beside the central one
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-21, 08:16 AM
atillathenunns's Avatar
atillathenunns atillathenunns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiseboyz3 View Post
The very small Lemon Squeezer beside the central one
Well spotted, definitely an anomaly, but not the one I was thinking of.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-21, 10:53 AM
AATTV AATTV is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 68
Default

Amazing display, thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

A
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-21, 01:45 AM
atillathenunns's Avatar
atillathenunns atillathenunns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AATTV View Post
Amazing display, thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

A
Thankyou, the display generated a lot of interest on the day, as it is the first time in 50 years that the origins of the New Zealand lemon squeezer is finally solved.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-21, 02:29 PM
Phillip Herring's Avatar
Phillip Herring Phillip Herring is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,314
Default

Anomaly - Trim around the brim of the hat sitting on the box?
__________________
Courtesy of The Canadian Forces:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/index-eng.asp

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-21, 12:41 AM
SemperFi SemperFi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 73
Default

The forum’s downsampling of the resolution make it bit difficult to see finer detail but here are the anomalies I see:

1) As Phillip stated, brim edging on ceremonial squeezer. Can’t quite tell—as one faces photo—if squeezer on right has brim edging.

2) As one faces photo, squeezer right of ceremonial squeezer is only one with a cloth/bullion badge vs metal or it’s a metal badge with cloth backing.

3) As one faces photo, right of ceremonial squeezer, the 2nd right squeezer’s entire pagri is darker than the other squeezer’s pagris. Also this one’s top is more pointed, looks taller, and looks to have a slightly different shape than the rest. Other than the ceremonial squeezer, this is only squeezer with its badge on its pagri.

4) Squeezer directly in front of #3 is only one that has a formation flash (blue) at 9:00 from its badge. I suspect this is the true anomaly, as I think generally only bush hats had flashes and/or badges.

5) Ceremonial squeezer is the only one with an AA badge and looks like it’s shape is more rigidly defined and like it’s made from a different material.

6) Resolution is too low to determine if all have vent grommets at 9:00 & 3:00 from badges.

Nice collection!

Jay

Last edited by SemperFi; 12-04-21 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarifications
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-21, 09:48 AM
atillathenunns's Avatar
atillathenunns atillathenunns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
The forum’s downsampling of the resolution make it bit difficult to see finer detail but here are the anomalies I see:

1) As Phillip stated, brim edging on ceremonial squeezer. Can’t quite tell—as one faces photo—if squeezer on right has brim edging.

2) As one faces photo, squeezer right of ceremonial squeezer is only one with a cloth/bullion badge vs metal or it’s a metal badge with cloth backing.

3) As one faces photo, right of ceremonial squeezer, the 2nd right squeezer’s entire pagri is darker than the other squeezer’s pagris. Also this one’s top is more pointed, looks taller, and looks to have a slightly different shape than the rest. Other than the ceremonial squeezer, this is only squeezer with its badge on its pagri.

4) Squeezer directly in front of #3 is only one that has a formation flash (blue) at 9:00 from its badge. I suspect this is the true anomaly, as I think generally only bush hats had flashes and/or badges.

5) Ceremonial squeezer is the only one with an AA badge and looks like it’s shape is more rigidly defined and like it’s made from a different material.

6) Resolution is too low to determine if all have vent grommets at 9:00 & 3:00 from badges.

Nice collection!

Jay
(1) The ceremonial squeezer is New Zealand made and was only recently retired thru army stores, it is only fitting that a ceremonial squeezer should have a quality brim edging.
The WW2 squeezer on the right is 27th (NZMGC) Battalion. I suspect it is British made and belonged to an officer, it does have remnants of brim edging.

(2) The squeezer right of ceremonial squeezer is a NZ Army Permanent Staff, rank either Colonel or Brigadier. It is British made and dated 1940.

(3) The squeezer far right with black puggaree is 1st NZ Army Tank Brigade 1941 to 1944.
WW1 and WW2 felt hats were generally issued in a plain dome shape, it was up to the owner to apply the 4 dents, some are worked into tall peaks, others don’t have a lot of effort put into them.

(4) A squeezer with 27th Battalion Jayforce patches is very rare, given the standard headwear issue for Jayforce was the General Service hat, so most likely belonged to an officer and used for ceremonial duties.

(5) The badge is Queens crown NZ General Service Onward badge in gilt metal.

(6) Best I could do with phone camera in one hand, coffee in other hand and people forever walking in front of you.
As for eyelet vents, these generally only feature on WW1 & WW2 British made squeezers.

So no anomalies here, just good honest squeezers

Lemon Squeezer collection 2021 b.jpg
2008-02-04 010.jpg
2008-02-04 012.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-21, 11:17 AM
SemperFi SemperFi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
For those lemon squeezer purists there is one anomaly with one of my squeezers, but most wont know the difference.
Atillathenunns, none of the squeezers had an anomaly that only purists will know?

Thank you for your detailed answers to my observations—awesome! Likewise, thanks for your additional photos—nice! I always enjoy learning new things from forum members.

I’m a period cap/hat fan and really enjoy seeing badges and flashes on their headwear because, for me, it puts badges and flashes in their original context. Again, many thanks for sharing your collection and knowledge!

Jay
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13-04-21, 06:49 AM
atillathenunns's Avatar
atillathenunns atillathenunns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Atillathenunns, none of the squeezers had an anomaly that only purists will know?

Thank you for your detailed answers to my observations—awesome! Likewise, thanks for your additional photos—nice! I always enjoy learning new things from forum members.

I’m a period cap/hat fan and really enjoy seeing badges and flashes on their headwear because, for me, it puts badges and flashes in their original context. Again, many thanks for sharing your collection and knowledge!

Jay
There is no anomaly with any of the 4 WW2 squeezers on the right, or the modern ceremonial squeezer in the center, but there is an anomaly with one of the Wellington Battalion WW1 squeezers on the left.

Every thing I have learned is from other collectors who have taken the time to share their information, we have simply come full circle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.