British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-24, 08:19 PM

Default Possible link to HAC mystery uniform

I wonder if anyone has an informed opinion as to which unit is depicted here” Taken in Islington, London, 1860s, the ornament on top of forage cap is Royal Artillery pattern but in silver braid and the stripes on overalls are double silver rather than the single broad RA stripe, which suggests a light cavalry connection, the only thing I can think of is Light Cavalry troop of HAC. The late Bill Carman in his book on Light Hores units shows a cap ornament of completely different design on the top of forage cap but the drawing is undated and may have changed at a later date. The London location of photographer might support my theory but ultimately proves nothing as the subject may simply have been visiting London from elsewhere, any theories or explanations would be appreciated, thank you in anticipation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3900.jpg (40.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 14-04-24, 03:45 PM

As the HAC is not the RA, why would it be that the picture should show the RA stripe on the trousers? I have a white metal martingale and silver bullion collar devices to the HAC, (I see no collar devices on your man’s jacket), he actually appears to be “undressed”. Looks to me that you have some research to do, I do not envy you!
D.J.
Old 14-04-24, 04:16 PM

Michael1, Further to my above post, a quick search has found that the HAC formed a light Cavalry division in 1861. It was reformed in 1979 and along with the HAC’s “Pikemen & Musketeers” are the two sub-units of the HAC concerned with Ceremonial Duties and would I assume be seen during the “Lord Mayor of London’s Parade” and other ceremonies in the City of London. Best regards, DJ.
Old 14-04-24, 04:35 PM

Default Mystery uniform

As you say the HAC are not the RA and indeed their infantry element were dressed as Grenadier Guards but with silver lace. This chap has an odd combination, RA type hat ornament and Light cavalry type stripes to overalls, no Yeomanry regiment is known to have worn RA hat ornament on their pill box caps and their undress uniforms are well covered in a book published by the late DP &G publishers, the issue is that a combination of RA and Light Cavalry elements leave very few possibilities and of course the HAC Artillery element did follow RA style of dress, it’s certainly proving tricky, thanks for your interest?
Old 14-04-24, 05:09 PM

Xould it be a 'costume' photograph? If you closely, the jacket arms are way too long and thentrousers are not far behind . . . It doesnt fit him.

Bess