British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-21, 09:32 AM

Exclamation Read the description

In July I spotted a fake 2008 Poppy pin , the seller was donating 10% of money to "Help For Heroes" . I politely informed the seller that it was a fake so that they/the charity would not get into trouble and got the following reply:

Quote:
What i will do is sell this one to get back what i paid for it and will refrain from listing the other 3 i have.
Thank you again for the information and as i say - i would never try and deceive anyone as my long standing e bay acount is more important to me than trying to make a few quid.
Well , they are back with added photos showing how much genuine ones have been listed for. The seller has even stated :

Quote:
I, as a good seller do not try and decieve and did get a message saying that these may / may not be issured by the rbl, hence the start price, saying that - have seen these actually selling for £75.00 plus
I guess "trying to make a few quid" is more important than being a "good seller" and "not trying to decieve" !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174923439053

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 05-09-21, 09:54 AM

I note that the seller states that he/she has lapel badges made to their own design ("all my badges are made to my strict specifications and i am happy to except returns should you be unhappy in any way").
Old 05-09-21, 10:00 AM

They also sell the same design of badge but with "2007", obtained via a liquidation sale.

"picked a few of these up from a liquidation sale from a shop.

from the little bit of research i have done, i believe these to be very rare.

i have found 3 of these for sale on ebay and one other site with a price of £89.00 AND £119.00/"

Pukkah or duff badges?
Old 05-09-21, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I note that the seller states that he/she has lapel badges made to their own design ("all my badges are made to my strict specifications and i am happy to except returns should you be unhappy in any way").
Just noticed that they also have a 2007 "pin badge" that is "very rare" (FAKE !) and they show genuine example that were listed at £89.99 and £75.00 but strangley enough they are selling theirs , "buy it now" for £12.50.

Edit : Posted then saw Leigh's second post , the 2007 is definitely a fake as it is the wrong size and finish.

Last edited by mike_vee; 05-09-21 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-09-21, 10:05 AM

But it's all OK, because some money is stated to go to charidee.
Old 05-09-21, 10:07 AM

If someone commissions copies of RBL badges I take it that there are copyright issues?

Seen the 4 somewhat similar poppy based veterans badge designs made to the sellers strict specification?

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 05-09-21 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added the bit about the veterans badges.
Old 05-09-21, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
If someone commissions copies of RBL badges I take it that there are copyright issues?
I don't think the factories that produce these fakes are worried about copyright issues.

The seller will claim that they bought them at liquidation sale/auction and believed they were genuine items ....and yet in a message they said :

Quote:
After speaking to an ex militay man-he informs me that as i have not listed it as a RBL item, it should not be a problem.

Edit : I was asked for exact size and back details of genuine 2008 poppy pin but did not supply them.

Last edited by mike_vee; 05-09-21 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-09-21, 10:25 AM

No prob then - clearly a pukkah stand up chap / chappess.

I must emphasise that I am in no way intimating that the seller is commissioning fake RBL badges in order to sell them at original.