British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-21, 10:34 AM

Default Fake Royal Scots Badge - Or Very Polished?

Gentlemen,

I hate to post questions so close to each other, because I do not want to seem like I am taking advantage of your expertise. Plus, I try to do my own research first. However, in this case I was not able to find a definitive answer on my own. (and I did several searches on this forum!)

I have seen multiple versions of the Royal Scots Regiment cap badge. Some have crisp details, while others look like St. Andrew was dropped on his face a few times. (See attached) Sadly he always looks a bit mutated (no disrespect intended).

Did soldiers in the regiment polish their cap badges, and does this account for the loss of detail? This is an answer I would like to know beyond determining what is a fake or not. Something to put in my collecting kit bag.

Regards,

Reid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Scots Cap Badge.jpg (51.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 30-07-21, 10:53 AM

Yes, soldiers polished their cap badges, the detail could become blurred, sometimes the detail was deliberately rubbed down with abrasive materials in order to achieve a more reflective finish.
A 2nd Bn Royal Scots badge, fairly well polished, and one that appears never to have been polished:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210730_114906~2.jpg (75.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20210730_115738~2.jpg (58.7 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 30-07-21 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Image added.
Old 30-07-21, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

I would assess the badge to be original.
Old 30-07-21, 02:50 PM

I agree that it is original. Unfortunately Wee Jimmy does not take to polishing very well. Even unworn, his expression is often one of impending defacement.

CB
Old 30-07-21, 09:01 PM

Nothing wrong with it.
Old 31-07-21, 11:52 AM

Gentlemen, thank you for your expertise. I am going to purchase the badge for my collection.

I actually prefer badges and headgear that were used, though of course not broken or so moth eaten they resemble swiss cheese.

I like the comment that the Jock who owned the badge was a wee bit enthusiastic when it came to polishing, to St. Andrew's sorrow. Thank you also for the explanations of why badges might be polished.

I do have one last question and excuse this dumb Yank's ignorance, but why is St. Andrew called "Jimmy"? I have heard Mercury on the Signals badge also called Jimmy. In the U.S. Infantry we have a statue of a WWII soldier charging into battle nicknamed "Iron Mike" as one of our symbols. Something similar?

I want to make sure I get my lingo right. For example saying SCOTS, not RRS. (A RQMS very kindly corrected me on this a few years ago)

Eventually I will stop showing my fourth-point-of-contact on this forum.

Cheers,

Reid
Old 31-07-21, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Reid

The Royal Signalls themselves don't know for certain where Jimmy came from

https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/cap-badge-history/

Alan
Old 31-07-21, 12:58 PM

All I know is that some of the Scots regiments, eg., Black Watch used to refer to St. Andrew as "Wee Jimmy" on their badges. The R.Sigs is called "Jimmy" and I believe "Cedric" as well.

CB
Old 31-07-21, 01:20 PM

As the brass centre piece obviously hasn't been brazed in properly I'd find another bett example, but it's up to you.
Old 31-07-21, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
All I know is that some of the Scots regiments, eg., Black Watch used to refer to St. Andrew as "Wee Jimmy" on their badges. The R.Sigs is called "Jimmy" and I believe "Cedric" as well.

CB
Jimmy being referred to as Cedric is a new one to me and I wore the badge for 25 years .

Cedric is an unusual name but we did have a Signal Officer in Chief called Cedric Burton in 2000 so perhaps you have heard the name in connection with him.
Old 31-07-21, 04:40 PM

I will take Magpie's advice and wait for a better example.

Hopefully genuine WM versions of the badge are not hard to find.
Old 31-07-21, 05:46 PM

I think that you could certainly find a better example without having to brake the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid10 View Post
Gentlemen,

I hate to post questions so close to each other, because I do not want to seem like I am taking advantage of your expertise. Plus, I try to do my own research first. However, in this case I was not able to find a definitive answer on my own. (and I did several searches on this forum!)

I have seen multiple versions of the Royal Scots Regiment cap badge. Some have crisp details, while others look like St. Andrew was dropped on his face a few times. (See attached) Sadly he always looks a bit mutated (no disrespect intended).

Did soldiers in the regiment polish their cap badges, and does this account for the loss of detail? This is an answer I would like to know beyond determining what is a fake or not. Something to put in my collecting kit bag.

Regards,

Reid
Old 31-07-21, 07:46 PM

Thank you, Frank. I will keep my eye out!
Old 01-08-21, 10:03 AM

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I agree that it is original. Unfortunately Wee Jimmy does not take to polishing very well. Even unworn, his expression is often one of impending defacement.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan.jpg (12.8 KB, 7 views)