British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-18, 04:42 PM
MarkGD

Default Connaught Rangers

Happy New Year to all,

On my journey collecting badges to regiments that my family served in, i came across this Connaught Rangers Badge on a dealers site (thanks Austin) and promptly took a shine to it.

In obvious need of a bit of 'TLC' which may be difficult in it's own right, I would be grateful to know if anyone has any spare bits they wish to dispose of. I have checked most of the trusted dealer site's with no joy, but again if anyone knows of likely places. it would be appreciated.

My wife called this my 'Happy Christmas to me' moment! Best Regards - Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connaught1.jpg (43.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Connaught2.jpg (71.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Connaught3.jpg (50.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 18-04-19, 04:13 PM
MarkGD

Default Another Connaught Rangers missing bits

Friends, another pick up, that i just had to have, although shown with an embroidered harp it should have (according to Jourdain) a silver harp to the centre. This one has the requisite holes but alas no harp. Would be grateful if anyone has an image showing the approriate one, unfortunately the Jourdain image is not clear. Best Regards Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Officers Glengarry CR.JPG (106.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 18-04-19, 05:46 PM

It should be the same design as the one with your helmet plate.
Old 18-04-19, 06:41 PM
MarkGD

Hoot, many thanks, i thought 'should' be too, wondered if anyone had confirmation. Regards
Old 22-04-19, 12:05 PM

It looks like the missing harp on that particular badge is the Maid of Eireaan pattern going by the shape of the embroidery. The Connaught Rangers wore both styles of harp on their insignia at various times. I’d be interested to know John Mulcahy’s views.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 22-04-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 22-04-19, 12:32 PM
MarkGD

Thanks for the reply Toby, in Jourdain it shows a 'brian boru' harp, but the detail is not clear. Another example i have from the same period shows a different harp in shape, just which one would be right? if either. Regards Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR Offr QVC HP.JPG (101.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 23-04-19, 12:27 PM
MarkGD

So I've managed to find a photo from a previous Bosley's auction, copyrighted by them so unable to share. It would appear the harp is the same as the first helmet plate shown, of interest it would appear the badge was gilt covered originally. Regards Mark
Old 23-04-19, 03:38 PM

Default MAP32

I attach a picture of my version bought from Bosleys a few years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0536.jpg (75.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 23-04-19, 07:49 PM
MarkGD

Map32, many thanks for posting your badge which confirms it, lovely item indeed! Regards Mark
Old 29-04-19, 02:53 PM
MarkGD

Default Connaught Rangers Badge

Hi All, continuing with the theme, i have a couple of pictures post ww1 showing Connaught Rangers in India. The two in question appear to be wearing a badge on their right breast pocket? I thought it may be a pre-war territorial badge? Watch chain bar? Any thoughts welcome - Regards Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sgt CR 1919.JPG (23.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Pte CR 1919.JPG (20.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 29-04-19, 04:03 PM

They look like watch chain fittings.
Old 29-04-19, 09:22 PM

I agree with Leigh. The ‘T’ bar from a fob watch chain.
Old 30-04-19, 08:51 AM
MarkGD

Leigh, Toby, many thanks, i'm inclined to agree, interestingly they use the same pocket, not sure how prevelant pocket watches would have been to private soldiers in 1921, but nice to see. Best Regards - Mark
Old 23-06-19, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
It looks like the missing harp on that particular badge is the Maid of Eireaan pattern going by the shape of the embroidery. The Connaught Rangers wore both styles of harp on their insignia at various times. I’d be interested to know John Mulcahy’s views.
I have only just spotted this and am afraid I will not be able to solve the puzzle.

There is indeed the "ghost impression" of a Maid of Eireann Harp which is puzzling to me. For the most part the regiment did not much use the Maid of Eireann Harp post 1881. It appears on the Officers buttons redesigned in 1894, the 1st Bn Band pouch badge and the FSH badge c. 1885 but I dont know of any other devices that carried it after 1881.

There are several plates of badges in Jourdain, Lt. Col H. F. N & Fraser, Edward, The Connaught Rangers, London: Royal United Service Institution and I have found that for other ranks the dates they give tally very closely with the Royal Army clothing Department's List of Changes thus I find Jourdain reliable.

Interestingly Jourdain shows one officer Glengarry badge for the period 1881-1890 and it is identical to the one posted by 'MAP32" and the body is identical to Mark's but, the fact that Jourdain annotated his illustrations so preciscely shows a gap for the years 1890-1894 and it suggests (to me at least) that a second pattern badge may have existed for the regiment.

I have not found any sealed patetrn cards nor conducted any photographic research on the regiment so have no idea on what to make of the original post. I have looked through his research notes in the NA and where as I amde notes from them on other badges I made no note of Glengarry Badges

John

Tags
connaught rangers