British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-11, 02:34 PM

Default LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

The badge illustrated below was included with a group of medal awarded to a Leicestershire Regiment casuality for WW1.

I assume that this is a Territorial battalion badge. It shows no evidence of having had its title removed.

What would be Forum members opinion be on this item?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIG OBV.jpg (58.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg TIG REV.jpg (56.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 21-12-11, 03:18 PM
Former Member

Malcolm,
I would be 100% happy with it despite looking like it came from Ammo UK the day before yesterday! The void in the loop of the tail is a good sign and the quality of construction. Do not be put off in the slightest by the bright appearance. This is how these badges would have looked when issued and if never subjected to a cleaning agent, or sweaty fingers, or the light of day, they occasionally turn up like yours! I was given this badge by the family of a Gentleman who served in the Veterinary Corps during the Great War, they claimed he did not like the "New Badge" they gave him in 1920 and still wore his AVC pattern right up until he left a few years later, they have a photo dated 1923 with that badge in wear! This one had been amongst his "War Things" since the day it was given to him and my first thoughts were that it had come from the AMMO stables, but on looking at the back the sweat holes and construction show it to be a c.1920 pattern badge now almost 92 years old and "Bright as a New Penny"..

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (3).jpg (77.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002 (3).jpg (65.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003 (3).jpg (38.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 21-12-11, 05:15 PM

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the interesting reply.

I am hoping that it is original. It is not quite as bright as in the picture, however it is clean. At first glance I thought it had been gilded.

The soldier was killed with the 9th Battalion, so I assume this was not his badge?

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 21-12-11, 05:28 PM
Former Member

I'm sure it's genuine, the Fakes have large rings around the eyes and lack detail in areas such as the stripes, tail and the ground upon which the Tiger is stood! As to which Bn he was in often changes due to reinforcements, losses etc, so it could have been his at some stage? I'm sure someone else will know?

Andy
Old 21-12-11, 06:00 PM

Thanks Andy.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 21-12-11, 07:07 PM

Quite a few Leicester Tigers for comparison in this album

Tim
Old 21-12-11, 09:32 PM

Hello Tim,

I cannot get the link to work.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 21-12-11, 09:42 PM

The album is by member 'Ticker' Riley and you may need to be a "friend" to see it. He has not posted since April but if you send him a pm all should be revealed.
Old 21-12-11, 10:01 PM

All I get is:

Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.

Marc
Old 22-12-11, 08:47 AM

Marc,
Again you need to be "friend" of Martin ('Ticker Riley') to see the album. I can and have added a screenshot to prove it!
Unfortunately his pm box is full and will not accept new messages and he last posted in April this year.
Perhaps Mods can contact him?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leicester Tigers.jpg (99.3 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 22-12-11 at 08:52 AM.
Old 27-01-12, 07:01 PM

Default Leicesters TF Badge

I’m afraid that I’ve been off-Forum for some time now, for one reason and another, so have only now seen this thread. Anyhow, although I realise this might be rather late in the day, I thought I’d just post up a couple of personal comments about Malcolm’s badge - so here goes:

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’ve only been collecting cap badges for a couple of years, so am certainly not as experienced or knowledgeable as many other Forum members. However, by now I do have a fair bit of experience when it comes to Leicesters badges, and have to say that I am personally very wary of this particular manufacturer’s type. When I first began collecting Leicesters badges I bought one of this maker’s design, albeit an all-brass/gilding metal version (see here for my old posting about this), and was advised it was actually a modern repro. Since then I have seen various other examples, both for the Regulars and the Territorials, mostly without sweat-holes though some with oblong ones. More worryingly perhaps is that I have come across examples of this same maker’s type bearing the fake 15mm “J.R.Gaunt[dot]London” mark, as well as the fact that this same type is apparently still being made (I’ve seen examples being sold on e-bay by some of those known to deal in restrikes, where the badges are clearly new). I must also say that whilst part of me would like to believe that genuine old examples of this manufacturer’s type could have been worn by the Leicesters, I have yet to see one of these badges with what I would consider to be an authentic patina or the ‘feel’ of a truly old badge. I would personally say that in this instance there is a likelihood that the badge in question was actually purchased fairly recently to accompany the medals, and that it was not actually issued to the soldier concerned. Anyway, as I say these are my own personal thoughts on things – for what they may be worth!

Regards

Martin

P.S. Malcolm and Marc – you are now both on my contacts list, so should be able to see my Gaunt Album.

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 27-01-12, 09:17 PM

Martin,
Good to see you back on the Forum!
Tim
Old 27-01-12, 10:34 PM

Hi Malcomb,

Bit of tiger fever going on.

Seeing this tiger I would have readily passed on it as a repro. Reading the posts I would certainly agree with Martin that it is likely to be a replacement to go with the medals but as Andy says sometimes there are exceptions to the "rules of thumb" we use.

Some more tigers for comparison in my Leicesters album but Martin has a more definitive album and knowledge to go with it, cheers Dean.
Old 27-01-12, 10:42 PM
LYPAO Boff

I have three very bright and shiny Tigers..... two with oblong sweat holes and one without..... all genuine.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 28-01-12, 11:30 AM

Default Leicesters Badges

Further to my posting yesterday, I see that there was a thread back in August of last year where phil2m posted up another of this same makers’ type of Leicesters, and where the general consensus was that it was not genuine. However, on the same thread tommytbag has put up some images of a very nice Leicesters Territorials’ badge (this one being what I think is the Smith & Wright type), and like Tommy I would be more than happy that his is authentic.

As to Griff’s comments about his “bright and shiny Tigers” and oblong sweat-holes – I was not implying that authentic badges had to have ancient patina to qualify as genuine, or that oblong sweat-holes are a definite sign of a repro. Rather I am not personally happy with the particular manufacturers’ type of Leicesters shown above, even if it comes with sweat-holes and signs of ‘age’. I am quite happy with a shiny badge when it shows other signs of being genuine, and am equally happy to have badges with oblong, oval or even round sweat-holes! For me there are two specific makers’ types that I am suspicious of as being modern repros, and the one on this thread is one of those. In addition to these I am also aware of the Gaunt restrikes, one of which featured in this thread from last May, and have come across a few fake cast badges, particularly OSD ones, like the two I put up here and here in 2010. Last year I purposefully bought a small set of badges with fake makers’ marks, so if I can I will try and take some photos and post them up to the Forum.

Best regards

Martin

P.S. Many thanks for the welcome back Tim – not sure how long I’ll be around for, or how much I’ll be able to contribute, but it’s good to be back. Thanks to Dean for the complements too, but I think I still have a long way to go to become a Leicesters ‘Boff’ like Griff is for the LYPAO!

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Tags
leicestershire, leicestershire regiment