British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-08, 04:53 PM
ulsterman

Default Queens Royal Hussars

I have a few Queens Royal Hussars badges and I always wondered about the different manufacturers of the badges. For example I have two OR badges, one by Firmin and the other by London Badges Company and the differences in the two are rather noticable in regards to the shape of crown/tiger and the harp.

I also have a officers badge by Firmin and a pouch badge by F&S and a pipers badge by British Badge Co and an ummarked NCO arm badge.

My question is why have so many manufacturers making badges for the one regiment? When placed together there is such a difference in colour and tone.

Will post some pics once I get a working camera

Cheers

Jonny
Old 07-03-08, 05:55 PM

Default The Queen's Royal Hussars

Hi Jonny,

Being a Ex QRH myself I can answer you Question ? The QRH have some of most complex and expensive regimental insignia currently in the British Army. So believe it or not it's all down to money.

Tony C
Old 07-03-08, 09:14 PM

Tony

you may be able to answer a question for me, as you probably know pipers of the QRH wear two kilt badges (the cap bage designs of the two antecedent regiments). The photos of the QRIH badge I have seen appear to show it to be an silver-coloured badge. Do you if this is correct and what the material of construction is (silver A/A or white metal).

thanks

John
Old 07-03-08, 09:47 PM

Default QRH Pipers badges

Hi John,

What you saw in the photo ? If it was the pipe Major ! it would have been a officers QRIH badge with the Gilt polished away. If it was other members of the band it was a AA cap badge . As a spotter I would have know if they had a special badge made.

They did have a HM Silver plaid brooch made in 2000 No 1-12 very scarce

Tony C