British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-09, 09:55 PM

Default Abu Dhabi Defence Force

Hi. Calling all Arab Nation badge experts. The first photo (confusingly titled arab badges 2) shows the officers cap badge and collar badges to what we all seem to agree is the Abu Dhabi Defence Force. The second photo(arab badges 1) shows a very similar cap badge and pair of collar badges but with a different arabic script on the surround. Can someone please let me know exactly what the scripts on both translate as and give me an i.d for the second photo. Thanks. Regards, Andrew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arab badges 002.jpg (53.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg arab badges 001.jpg (58.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-05-09, 01:49 PM

OK, first of all I am not an expert and I read Arabic like a five-year-old, following the letters with my finger. Secondly reading decorative Arabic script is like the same 5-y-o trying to read old English or Gothic script.

But as far as I can see the two phrases are identical but in different scripts. They both read quwwa (force) difaa9 (defence) abu DHabi. Or Abu Dhabi Defence Force. (The transliteration is the Army School of Languages system in which the Arab sound ayne is represented as 9)

No 2 is the earlier of the two (I think).

Eddie
Old 14-05-09, 11:27 PM

Thanks for that Eddie. Will post some more test pieces for you soon! Regards, Andrew.