British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-18, 04:52 PM

Default WW1 Military badge ID

Can someone identify this military badge pls. Its WW1, and the person in the photo is my Grandfather and he was from West Yorkshire. Thanks

military badge.jpg
Old 25-06-18, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hi shawpoon, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Some members will help with id.
Old 25-06-18, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawpoon View Post
Can someone identify this military badge pls. Its WW1, and the person in the photo is my Grandfather and he was from West Yorkshire. Thanks

Attachment 190277
This is the badge being worn by your Grandather...

Also covered pretty comprehensively here by Tim:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=3424

Among other units, the badge was also worn by the Royal Garrison Regiment...

...the Volunteer Force (post-1916)...

...the Royal Reserve Regiment... http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=141785

...and others.

If you conduct a forum search you'll find plenty of references to this badge within other threads.

Welcome to the forum,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 25-06-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 25-06-18, 07:14 PM

Welcome to the forum shawpoon.

Wonderful photos JT thanks for sharing. However I thought the Royal Reserve Regiments were all disbanded in 1901 i.e. bit early for there to be a KC version? Happy to be corrected though. Always found the RRR’s very interesting but information on them and their badges exceptionally scarce.

Cheers,
Luke
Old 25-06-18, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post

Wonderful photos JT thanks for sharing. However I thought the Royal Reserve Regiments were all disbanded in 1901 i.e. bit early for there to be a KC version? Happy to be corrected though. Always found the RRR’s very interesting but information on them and their badges exceptionally scarce.

Cheers,
Luke
Luke,

You'd know better than I would, mate, though I did link to Alan's QVC badge for reference as my knowledge of this unit it pretty scant. Thanks for the additional info/clarification.

Actually, I have examples I could have posted:

Cheers.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 25-06-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 25-06-18, 08:17 PM

Smile General Service badge

The General Service badge was also worn by many VTC units during the Great War, JT's pic showing a man wearing the cap badge and collar badges which also have a "V" below was I think a member of the VTC.

Rob
Old 25-06-18, 08:53 PM

Also worn by the Labour Corps from mid 1917 to late 1918.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 25-06-18, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
The General Service badge was also worn by many VTC units during the Great War, JT's pic showing a man wearing the cap badge and collar badges which also have a "V" below was I think a member of the VTC.

Rob
Hello Rob,

Thanks for that. The chap with the 'V' and the photo alongside are men of the Volunteer Force, the successors of the VTC.

In October of 1916, the War Office announced the badges of rank, cap badges and shoulder titles to be worn by the Volunteer Force, who were still clothed in their VTC uniforms and insignia. Officers and other ranks were now to wear the same badges of rank as those worn by the Regular Army. All ranks were to wear the Royal Arms as their cap badge, with officers having the letter 'V' in place of collar badges, though many wore the GS collar badges in conjunction with the 'V'.

JT VF.jpg

Cheers,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 25-06-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 25-06-18, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Hello Rob,

Thanks for that. The chap with the 'V' and the photo alongside are men of the Volunteer Force, the successors of the VTC.

In October of 1916, the War Office announced the badges of rank, cap badges and shoulder titles to be worn by the Volunteer Force, who were still clothed in their VTC uniforms and insignia. Officers and other ranks were now to wear the same badges of rank as those worn by the Regular Army. All ranks were to wear the Royal Arms as their cap badge, with officers having the letter 'V' in place of collar badges, though many wore the GS collar badges in conjunction with the 'V'.

Attachment 190282

Cheers,

JT

JT, this is a much neglected area of history, many thanks for showing your great photos and clearing the matter I fudged around. I do have somewhere a small cap badge which is the arms of Barking which was in Essex at the time and now greater London, according to a friend of mine the records of all this unit were lost in the blitz.
Regards Rob
Old 25-06-18, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
JT, this is a much neglected area of history, many thanks for showing your great photos and clearing the matter I fudged around. I do have somewhere a small cap badge which is the arms of Barking which was in Essex at the time and now greater London, according to a friend of mine the records of all this unit were lost in the blitz.
Regards Rob
I'd like to see that, Rob. If you ever locate it, please be sure to give us a butcher's.

Cheers,

JT
Old 26-06-18, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Cheers,
Luke
Luke

The regiment was still garrisoning Malta for some years (c1905 from memory) and did adopt the K/C cap badge. There 's photo on the forum somewhere.

Alan
Old 26-06-18, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Luke

The regiment was still garrisoning Malta for some years (c1905 from memory) and did adopt the K/C cap badge. There 's photo on the forum somewhere.

Alan
Alan,

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know that. But technically had the reminants of the RRR not already become the Royal Garrison Regiment by that point?

Cheers,

Luke
Old 26-06-18, 12:10 PM

Default Barking VTC cap badge

JT,

I have found my small VTC collection, so here it is, this was a car boot sale buy from a dealer who told me it was a collar badge, it was in fact a Barking VTC cap badge.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010999.jpg (50.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 26-06-18, 12:26 PM

Default Barking VTC cap badge

JT,

I have not shown the reverse of this badge or given any dimensions, the VTC have been faked to death without my help.

Rob
Old 26-06-18, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alan,

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know that. But technically had the reminants of the RRR not already become the Royal Garrison Regiment by that point?

Cheers,

Luke
Yes - same people and same badges just a new name.