British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-17, 01:59 PM

Red face 1st Gurkhas badge - new record ?

This was in the Bosley's auction with a guide price of £150 - it's an interesting badge - and not even the museum are certain of it's use or even if it was ever worn. - However the only one I've ever seen before was offered by Bosley's in 2008 and it went for £330. So I thought I was in with a shout offering double the guide price - but it went for an astonishing £950 ( £1200 with fees ) !!
For a badge that "might not be military" ( Gurkha museum ) - at least I can look the wife in the eye and tell her that my collection is an investment!
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...f-a812011b406f
Old 03-11-17, 04:35 PM

Hi Tim,
Yes I was amused by hammer price. I wasnt going to even think of bidding without evidence that it was actualy worn. Couple of nice badges but nothing I bid on.
I was amused to see that lot 59 7th GR cross belt badge sold for £400 but lot 408 the complete 7th GR crossbelt went for £180 same period. The cap bosses going for £700 surpised me.
You didnt bid on lot 83 2nd Bat 1st GR crossbelt badge £1300 !!!

Regards

Steve.
Old 04-11-17, 12:56 PM

As I undestand it, the provenance/evidence is 'Gaunt pattern book'. Ouch! That's a look of money for a 'speculative' rarity.
Old 09-11-17, 08:35 PM

Having been in correspondence with Ashok Nath - the 1GR with motto Dei Gratia is not actually 1st Gurkhas or even Gurkha but a badge of the Teri Garhwal state ( Dei Gratia is the motto of the state) and the national weapon of Garhwal is also the Kukri. Still a rare badge, but I've now gone from being disappointed at not acquiring it to relieved I didn't make an expensive mistake!

Apparently it was the Gurkha Museum who acquired it - I wonder if they realised it wasn't Gurkha? Tim
Old 09-11-17, 09:12 PM

Hi Chaps,

Someone should drop them a line. I would be interested to hear their response..

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 09-11-17, 09:32 PM

It'd probably be audible miles away?
Old 10-11-17, 06:05 AM

Am no expert on any badges, more so Gurkha, but the 'Dei Gratia' had me thinking when i first saw it and I googled to see what it meant. And I have never seen any Gurkha badge with these kind of scrolls/mottos so was fairly sure it was not really Gurkha, but then you never know...Still, never thought it would go for what it did...
Old 10-11-17, 06:08 AM

Actually, the princely states are quite a minefield when it comes to badges. I get to see all kinds of 'princely states' badges at coin exhibitions in India. Most of them are poor quality and very difficult to know if they're genuine even...
Old 10-11-17, 12:36 PM

Given the way many of them would have come into existance, that's not surprising, IMO. Some of the regalia of the princely states is lovely and, for the richer ones, can rival the best of the European state jewellery, but not all the states were so wealthy and I suspect that any number of them had rulers who saw something they liked, grabbed a court jeweller, or low bid European supplier, and said 'Make me one like that!'

The results almost certainly range from 'not bad' to 'truly awful', much like the badge heraldry and, in a few cases, the uniforms of those same states.
Old 14-11-17, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Hi Tim,
Yes I was amused by hammer price. I wasnt going to even think of bidding without evidence that it was actualy worn. Couple of nice badges but nothing I bid on.
I was amused to see that lot 59 7th GR cross belt badge sold for £400 but lot 408 the complete 7th GR crossbelt went for £180 same period. The cap bosses going for £700 surpised me.
You didnt bid on lot 83 2nd Bat 1st GR crossbelt badge £1300 !!!

Regards

Steve.
Anyone on the forum bid and get the Royal Garhwal Rifles shoulder belt plate which also fetched an astounding price of circa GBP 900 at the recent Bosley auction? Regards Tom
Old 15-11-17, 01:02 PM

I think if I had that kind of money I'd use it to buy a ticket to India and visit the Garwhal Rifles old barracks instead. Ouch!
Old 19-11-17, 02:59 PM
jamesmilitaria

Smile

Bosley's is a great place to sell but not to buy. I'm taking a car load there next week
Old 20-11-17, 02:53 PM

Sound thinking, that man!