British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-17, 12:06 PM

Default Are All Three Plaid Brooches The Same Design?

Dear Friends.

Anybody care to have a go and tell me if all three Plaid Brooches depicted below are all the same brooch design ??????

Little grainy photos I know but they are the best I can do.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Senior Pipe Sergeant Rod Mathieson.jpg (40.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Enlarged_Piping_68.jpg (64.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg JL Plaid Brooch on Signals Colours.jpg (113.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-12-17, 01:16 PM

From what i can see Chris,1 and 2 are the same . 3 isnt . The outer is the same or similar,the centre device appears different.
Old 04-12-17, 08:07 PM

Yes, I believe all three brooches are the same, they are the same shape, they all have thistles around the quoit, the centre device has a strap (or belt) with the tail of the strap (belt) pointing downward. The dark spots around the quoit in my photos are just a "reflection" or "shadow" off the head of the thistles, as the pattern on the brooch is quite prominent, as we can see in Chris's third photo.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crop 1.jpg (43.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg crop 2.jpg (40.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-12-17, 12:40 PM

Default Can anybody identify these Plaid Brooches

Dear Mike and Phil.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Mike. I know for sure that photo 1 and 3 are the same Grant Plaid Brooch as I know who owns the third badge and he was ex Junior Leaders Regiment Pipe Band in 1962 to 65. First is the Senior Pipe Sergeant of the JLR Pipe Band in my time 1964.

Phil is in my honest opinion correct. All three are Clan Grant Plaid Brooches.

I can not say why the second brooch which was the Pipe Major of the Army Apprentice College Harrogate and wore the badge as shown in the 2nd photo from 1966 to 1968 when the photo was taken. His name is John McKay. I am in touch with him but he can not remember what the Plaid Brooch was.

My interest is this. JLR Denbury closed down in August 1967. Any Junior Leaders still in training went to Harrogate to finish their training. No Pipe Band members if they joined the Pipe Band at Harrogate took their Pipe Band dress with them, especially their plaid as they actually wore the Grant Plaid. Harrogate Pipe Band wore the Black Watch Plaid Tartan.

As mentioned above I believe all three Plaid Brooches are the Grant Plaid Brooch.

Harrogate Pipe Band changed their Plaid Brooch in the very early 1970's to the one shown below.

Thanks for your time and trouble in answering my question.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Old 07-12-17, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Chris you already know my view but to lend support, I have no doubt what so ever all three are the same design.