British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-21, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Who is Barry?

Can you provide a link to Barrys items please or if none then his user name as I would like to see what he is selling.

regards
Barry is Barry Renfrew. He lists mostly colonial items on ebay and often has some very good stuff.
Old 08-12-21, 08:39 AM

I am wondering if the book was illustrated with items from his ciollection and if he is now breaking up his collection?
Old 08-12-21, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I am wondering if the book was illustrated with items from his ciollection and if he is now breaking up his collection?
Simon, I think he may well be selling off his collection. He has some good stuff from SE Asia and I think from his days as a correspondent in the region he's out together a very good collection and I think his sources in Asia may still be supplying him stuff though occassionally some dodgy stuff does turn up.
Old 08-12-21, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Simon, I think he may well be selling off his collection. He has some good stuff from SE Asia and I think from his days as a correspondent in the region he's out together a very good collection and I think his sources in Asia may still be supplying him stuff though occassionally some dodgy stuff does turn up.
Sunil,

I did not know that he had been a correspondent. Did you know him professionally? His book also illustrates six different examples of the post 1922 Burma Rifles badges, which is about the number that he has recentlu sold. I also think that he has just sold most of pages 154 and 155, the Hong Kong section.

Simon

Last edited by High Wood; 08-12-21 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 02:56 PM

Barry and I have corresponded occasionally. He was a journalist for many years with AP and was at one time Islamabad bureau chief. He knows south and south east Asia very well. I only got to know him on ebay and since I was earlier with Reuters we have common journalistic roots. I've always found him to be decent, honest, accomodating and sympathetic as a collector/dealer. Ive bought quite a bit from him earlier and he's had some good items lately that I wanted to buy but collecting now seems to have become a competitive sport needing deep pockets so haven't bought anything of late.
Old 08-12-21, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Barry and I have corresponded occasionally. He was a journalist for many years with AP and was at one time Islamabad bureau chief. He knows south and south east Asia very well. I only got to know him on ebay and since I was earlier with Reuters we have common journalistic roots. I've always found him to be decent, honest, accomodating and sympathetic as a collector/dealer. Ive bought quite a bit from him earlier and he's had some good items lately that I wanted to buy but collecting now seems to have become a competitive sport needing deep pockets so haven't bought anything of late.
I am also of the opinion that he is decent and honest and I have bought several badges from him recently. I imagine that he acquired most of his collection whilst overseas and used it as the basis for his book.

I have no idea why he would want to break up such a comprehensive collection.
Old 08-12-21, 08:21 PM

Only thing I have Hong Kong related - junk shop find in the 90's. There was a tub full of them . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211208_201554.jpg (78.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-12-21, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Only thing I have Hong Kong related - junk shop find in the 90's. There was a tub full of them . . .
They are in the book and described as Hong Kong Military Service Corps post 1945.
Old 09-12-21, 10:04 AM

Thanks Simon
Old 09-12-21, 10:23 AM

Maroon/yellow/maroon Hong Kong Military Service Corps hackles are available on ebay if required.
Old 09-12-21, 12:24 PM

Think they're for the Band Leigh. A pair of collars going for £33 too - although they look quite modern.
Old 09-12-21, 02:08 PM

Different stamping - The crown is obviously not of the same stamping from the main badge. Very sad how some people are loosing their moral compass, tempted by the lure of money........