British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-16, 07:09 PM
Former Member

Paul,
you know me by now, no splinters in my arse from sitting on the fence...

Check the font again, the T in THE is wide at the base and almost pin like by the time it reaches the crossbar.. Send it back in the morning and spend your money on something better than this dreadful piece of tat!

Best Regards

Andy
Old 27-01-16, 08:10 PM
LYPAO Boff

That blackened one is this maker isnt it? The blackened Welsh badges slider looks as though its been jammed tight into something...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EconomyBrassWW1.jpg (98.2 KB, 50 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 27-01-16, 09:18 PM

Thanks Griff. Similar. Also Similar to badge in this thread http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...y+welsh&page=2 1st badge post 17. Also this one in Andy's album. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=14617 Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 27-01-16 at 09:30 PM.
Old 28-01-16, 10:34 AM

Paul,

If it's any consolation I still haven't picked one up that I'm happy with after years of searching.

Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 28-01-16, 08:17 PM

It does seem to match the all GM badge that looks to sometimes have an extruded slider. I'm leaning to think it is one of these. I am also wondering if the slider has been clipped and reshaped- then painted- but how long ago- 10 years or 100 years. The two part black badge that has recently gained more favour looks similar to a BM badge http://www.deadspartan.co.uk/viewpho...h=57281&phqu=2 . Any further opinion welcome. (Hit me with it Andy!)
Old 28-01-16, 08:31 PM
Former Member

Paul,
I still and now even more so think you have a painted fake! Since you have linked to one of my badges, take a step further and look at the rear and the amount of reverse detail, unlike yours which is a smooth as the proverbial BB!

I think you are having an Ostrich moment?

Andy
Old 28-01-16, 08:44 PM

The two badge certainly look the same. If you look closely at the "C" in "ICH" for example, both have a spur (for want of a better word) coming off the back. I must admit that the shank on the blackend one looks odd though?

It would be interesting to see the badges next to each other.

Andy
Old 30-01-16, 05:36 PM
Former Member

Paul,
I now think the black paint is possibly hiding a genuine all Gm example? The original 7th Welsh badges were in two parts. If they later adopted all Gm "Economy" badges and regular Bim badges and blackened them, then they are just that and not technically 7th Welsh? I would clean it and look for a nice 2-part badge as that paint has been added IMO to make it look 7WELSH. (sorry about the images, they were taken with a flash)

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0088.jpg (112.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0089.jpg (67.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 30-01-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 30-01-16, 06:16 PM

Andy, that as much as I said I thought the badge to be in earlier posts. As no opinion was given in favour of the badge I have started arrangements to return it. As yet I don't collect GM (economy badges) and the way the paint looks on the slider just does not look right to me for 100 years old. The replies to my post added to my feeling the badge is not quite right. It looks like the seller will be OK about taking it back. Not worth having if I look at it and am not 100% sure it was issued to the 7th Battalion The Welsh. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 30-01-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 30-01-16, 06:29 PM
Former Member

Paul,
you're probably looking at £50-60 for a nice two part badge? I'm pretty certain the camouflage is an attempt by someone to make it look like something else?

Best Regards

Andy
Old 30-01-16, 06:39 PM

Totally down to the paint on the slider for me. I liked the worn look to the badge on the front. I feel a fresh looking black 2 part badge just as much a concern. In which collections have these been noted?
I see there is one on the IWM site- but I don't think their collection 100% kosha. Bolsleys have had them for sale. I'm not fully swayed yet. Not long ago these were looked at with doubt. Anyway- looks like we now agree regards the badge posted. I'll try and get the sand out of my ears Regards, Paul.
Ah-King and Lambert collections. Any evidence they both thought it a good badge?

Last edited by wardog; 31-01-16 at 12:58 PM.
Old 30-01-16, 09:50 PM

Just really an echo of what Andy has already said.

The badge you have is a 1916 GM example that has been painted black for some reason. Perhaps someone did it to fill a gap in their collection?

I have shown my two below, which are a mirror of the two posted by Andy. The 7th is two piece construction as already pointed out.

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 30-01-16, 09:56 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Totally down to the paint on the slider for me. I liked the worn look to the badge on the front. I feel a fresh looking black 2 part badge just as much a concern. In which collections have these been noted?
I see there is one on the IWM site- but I don't think their collection 100% kosha. Bolsleys have had them for sale. I'm not fully swayed yet. Not long ago these were looked at with doubt. Anyway- looks like we now agree regards the badge posted. I'll try and get the sand out of my ears Regards, Paul.
Paul,
"I'm Confused" the two part badges IMO have never been in doubt and are the desired items?

Andy
Old 30-01-16, 11:13 PM

Yep- me confused also Am I total getting the wrong end of the stick with this thread?- http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...read.php?t=131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Alan,
the same 2 piece WELSH is being sold by a Southern dealer for £20.. Maintain your quest for a 1 piece!!

Andy
I think will just get the badge back to the dealer. Sorry to do so- only felt the need to do this once before- and it was another black TF badge.

Last edited by wardog; 30-01-16 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKIES View Post
Just following on from the previous post, here's a 7th Welsh set which show's a genuine painted s/t.
Jonathan, if possible could you post a picture of the back please and did the lot all come together?