British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-17, 09:03 AM

a few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (57.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (63.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (56.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (41.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (38.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (31.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (44.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-06-17, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Great photo. The badge matches the one for Plymouth VTC in K&K Vol 1,
Old 05-06-17, 09:25 AM

Smile Devon VTC

Rob, some great photos, the Palace Studio presumably was in Palace Avenue in Paignton, which must be now long gone as I have not noticed it when walking down that way. I wonder how old the two young men were on the right front row?

Thanks for showing them.

Rob
Old 27-11-21, 08:32 PM

Default Paignton VTC

Hi Rob, what a wonderful photo to stumble across. Photo 11 of the gentleman next to the pillar leaning on a shotgun is my Gt-Grandfather Victor Emmanuel Boucneau, originally from London but moved to Wellington House, 10 Grosvenor Road, Paignton.

I have several scans from a scrapbook that he kept from the period that I borrowed from my Aunt, I will dig them out & post some on this thread.

Last edited by JimJim; 04-12-21 at 04:47 PM.
Old 28-11-21, 06:01 PM

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum, what a great picture, he looks like a very formidable chap.

Is it possible to do a scan zooming in on the cap badge and buttons, the buttons could almost be the leather "football" type?

Rob
Old 28-11-21, 06:18 PM

Yes, the buttons are leather football by the look of it.
Old 29-11-21, 01:01 PM

Default VTC

Here you go Rob, this is the best I can do I'm afraid.

I did send this photo's to the Imperial War Museum & asked about the badge, they replied that it looked like a standard VTC badge but without seeing the inscription, difficult to conclusively identify an area. Victor was originally from East Molesey, London but not sure when he eventually moved to Paignton. His badge does look like this one & appears to have the lower script.

But closely looking at your group photo, some look to be without the script, poss a standard (non-region) issue like this one?

As for his buttons, I believe that the more affluent individuals purchased there own uniforms in the early days & this would explain slight variations in appearance.

Last edited by JimJim; 04-12-21 at 04:22 PM.
Old 29-11-21, 01:08 PM

Default Paignton VTC Info Pt.1

Attached are pages from Victor Emmanuel Boucneau's personal scrapbook he kept while serving with the PVTC.
There are 36 pages in total & I will post 4 pages at a time, it puts names to a few members which hopefully someone might recognise?

Last edited by JimJim; 04-12-21 at 04:27 PM.
Old 29-11-21, 01:47 PM

Default Rob's VTC Group Photo

I found out that Rob's Paignton VTC group photo was actually taken in front of Paignton RFC main stand at their Queen's Park ground, not far from the photographers premises. It doesn't appear to of changed that much.
Old 29-11-21, 03:49 PM

JimJim,

Brilliant additional contemporaneous information; another reason this forum is such a great resource! I look forward to further pages from your great grandfather's scrap book.

I can confirm that Paignton VTC did, in fact, have a "Paignton" scrolled version of the VTC badge, something that all the photographic evidence suggests, but cannot actually be seen in the photos. I have only ever seen one, sold through Bosley's in 2012.

Thanks!

Tim
Old 29-11-21, 08:50 PM

paignton.jpg

Paignton VTC
Old 30-11-21, 12:44 PM

Default Paignton VTC

Wow, that is amazing Tim & thanks so much for posting. I'm going to keep an eye out for one now, I think I'll have better chance winning the Lottery but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again for sharing, Jim

Last edited by JimJim; 30-11-21 at 01:33 PM.
Old 30-11-21, 12:45 PM

Default Paignton VTC Part.2

Interesting note here that in the last scan, it talks about the Corps Group photo presented to Lieut Ricketts & how delighted he was to receive it. There is his passionate call to arms of all able soul, man & boy to join the ranks & do their part for King & Country, a wonderful read. Could it actually be the same group photo Rob posted? It would be amazing to find the connection is that real & for me, unbleievable to of stumbled on it completely by accident the other evening & add so much more to the story!

Last edited by JimJim; 10-12-21 at 08:40 PM.
Old 30-11-21, 01:49 PM

Default Help if Poss

Does anyone know anything about Lieut S.T Ricketts? I've looked but not come up with anything as yet, many thanks Jim
Old 30-11-21, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
Does anyone know anything about Lieut S.T Ricketts? I've looked but not come up with anything as yet, many thanks Jim
In the Volunteer List October 1918 he is shown as Adjutant of the Isle of Wight Volunteer Regiment, attached from the Devon Regiment (TF).

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges