British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-12-21, 06:30 PM

Default The RAF wearing 'Nazi' insignia - The RAFWaffe pilots badge

I first saw this badge / photo some years ago and wonder if anyone has any info in it?

The badge is being worn by Flight Lieutenant Ernest Lewendon, who was Commanding Officer of No. 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight, whose job it was to fly, evaluate and demonstrate captured enemy aircraft. Sadly, Lewendon was killed in October 1944 in the crash of a German Fw190.

As far as I know the badge is not German (the German pilot badge was in metal, with the eagle on an oval wreath, rather than a circular ring), which makes it a very curious badge to have made in the UK. It was clearly worn on his 'work clothing' but almost certainly not on his service dress. But for me, I'd think that an RAF pilot wearing a swastika on his uniform wouldn't go down well, even with his colleagues.

The odd thing is I found, some years ago, a photo of a re-enactor at an event (a press photo) in RAF service dress, wearing the exact same badge but in bullion (I cant for the life of me find it now).

I just wondered if anyone had any information about it being worn, if he was ever told to remove it, where it came from etc? Also, who produced the bullion version for re-enactors, considering it must have been a one-off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raffwaffe.jpg (37.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg RAFWaffe badge.jpg (46.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 1426 EAC flight 1944..jpg (61.2 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by Padre; 01-12-21 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 07:38 PM

An interesting badge. Although not my area of interest the bird is clearly derived from the RAF shoulder "eagle" (although not worn in my time it was known by another, cruder, name), rather than the sleek wings of the Luftwaffe eagle. As you say, I doubt it would have made any friends, particularly amongst Europeans from occupied countries serving in the RAF, so was probably confined to when he was on flying duties. I'd certainly be interested to input from other members.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 01-12-21, 08:01 PM

Any possibility he may have flown in the Condor Legion??? Or maybe just because he tested enemy aircraft???

Terry
Old 01-12-21, 08:11 PM

Fascinating!

Following on from Graham's comments, when I saw it, it immediately represented in my mind an RAF eagle flying with a 'captured' swastika in it's claws - which would fit with his duties of evaluating the performance of captured enemy aircraft. So in a way denoting superiority over the enemy, not celebrating or copying their motif.

In my mind this fitted somewhat with the practice of painting swastikas on rudders and outside the cockpit to denote enemy 'kills'. Again, visually demonstrating prowess over the enemy.

Unofficial embellishment??

Mark
Old 01-12-21, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I first saw this badge / photo some years ago and wonder if anyone has any info in it?

The badge is being worn by Flight Lieutenant Ernest Lewendon, who was Commanding Officer of No. 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight, whose job it was to fly, evaluate and demonstrate captured enemy aircraft. Sadly, Lewendon was killed in October 1944 in the crash of a German Fw190.

As far as I know the badge is not German (the German pilot badge was in metal, with the eagle on an oval wreath, rather than a circular ring), which makes it a very curious badge to have made in the UK. It was clearly worn on his 'work clothing' but almost certainly not on his service dress. But for me, I'd think that an RAF pilot wearing a swastika on his uniform wouldn't go down well, even with his colleagues.

The odd thing is I found, some years ago, a photo of a re-enactor at an event (a press photo) in RAF service dress, wearing the exact same badge but in bullion (I cant for the life of me find it now).

I just wondered if anyone had any information about it being worn, if he was ever told to remove it, where it came from etc? Also, who produced the bullion version for re-enactors, considering it must have been a one-off?
German qualifying badge pilot (for full Luftwaffe pilot's course).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-12-21, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
German qualifying badge pilot (for full Luftwaffe pilot's course).
The badge you show is a bit of a mystery and one that has baffled Luftwaffe/Nazi experts for years as there is nothing to substantiate what it is. It is thought to date from the mid-1930s and is possibly a prototype design never picked up, or possibly given for special service (it has been suggested for something like jet pilots), but only a handful have ever some to light.

Although it has a round rather than oval wreath the eagle is more face on than side on. Here are a couple of photos of another.

The one worn by Lewendon is woven and the eagle is the more common side on badge as used on beast and cap eagles. Discounting the round wreath badge (which does not seem to be a standard issue) it begs the question where Lewendon got his. A badge 'stolen' from a captured Luftwaffe airman is one possibility, although it doesn't match any Luftwaffe issue badges. So was it made in the UK?

If so I'd like to have seen the tailors face when given the order!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-015S_LG.jpg (88.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-016S_LG.jpg (86.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg eagle.jpg (30.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-12-21, 10:58 PM

The RAF photo appears to be post 1941,the first individual wears the C type flying helmet introduced in 41,the second individual appears to be a B Type and your man looks like he is wearing a Luftwaffe flight helmet ??? could be wrong ....also an "interpretation" of the Luftwaffe pilots badge.
It is probable in my opinion that the badge was presented to him by the Luftwaffe pre-war whilst on official duties with the RAF in 1930s,Germany,he in all probability had a bullion pilots badge made for his battledress tunic in early 1940. Stranger things have happened and it was not an uncommon practice for pilots to wear other countries "aviation " insignia...
an interesting photo...

Last edited by arrestingu; 01-12-21 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 11:42 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Arrestingu. You are correct about the photo, it was taken on 3rd March 1944 only a few months before Lewendon was killed, aged just 30. The chap 1st left wears early pattern C-Type externally wired flying helmet with E* mask (by then replaced by the G-Type mask), while the chap 3rd left does wear the B-Type helmet, but more unusually with the cloth D-Type mask and American goggles - very 1940. Lewendon is wearing the German LKpW101 helmet with British Mk III goggles.

His original service number (565098) was part of a block allocated to RAF Apprentices from 1926 (although he was only 12 then). So it seems he probably joined as an Apprentice around 1929, but this would have been for a ground trade. He was a Temporary Flight Sergeant in October 1941 when Commissioned, then promoted to Flying Officer on 1st October 1942 then Flight Lieutenant on 7th October 1943, so it would seem he was probably only a wartime flyer in the RAF.

The presentation idea is interesting except for the fact that it seems unique, and is otherwise an unknown Luftwaffe badge. It also seems pretty clean and new, especially being on a working uniform. I could understand it being worn a bit tongue-in-cheek on the battledress, but another question would be why not for all the Flight?

I would have thought somewhere out there would be the story behind it.

The other photo mentioned above, showing an elderly re-enactor wearing a bullion one on a service dress intrigues me too (I wish I could find it). It would suggest the man knows something about it, but again even as a reproduction Ive never seen another.
Old 02-12-21, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Fascinating!

Following on from Graham's comments, when I saw it, it immediately represented in my mind an RAF eagle flying with a 'captured' swastika in it's claws - which would fit with his duties of evaluating the performance of captured enemy aircraft. So in a way denoting superiority over the enemy, not celebrating or copying their motif.

In my mind this fitted somewhat with the practice of painting swastikas on rudders and outside the cockpit to denote enemy 'kills'. Again, visually demonstrating prowess over the enemy.

Unofficial embellishment??

Mark
Mark,
i had the same thought, RAF eagle with the Swastika in its claws, sign of superiority?
Old 02-12-21, 10:41 PM

It is definitely not an RAF eagle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images1.jpg (42.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RAFWaffe badge.jpg (68.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg luftwaffe-breast-eagle-very-good-condition-tunic-removed-600x600.jpg (79.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-12-21, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Certainly not an official badge but its not uncommon to wear un-official badges. This special units nickname was the RAFWAFFE, could this badge be an unofficial badge be a play on this? Checking on the google search there is mention that the flying helmet is of german origin.
Old 03-12-21, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Batemans Brewery made the same mistake
Attached Images
File Type: png Batemans-AirForceCentenaryBitter.png (62.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-12-21, 06:38 AM

Given the enemy aircraft behind, I would assume a self award, certainly a conversation sparking piece, I would have thought most allied pilots who managed to get the chance to fly enemy aircraft would have been simply happy with their experience.

Quote:

Old 03-12-21, 12:18 PM

Thank you all for the various replies and suggestions.

To reiterate a few points, Lewendon is indeed wearing a German helmet, probably to make it easier when flying German aircraft, to save the need for any adaptors or modifications to the aircraft or helmet intercom. Just a change to the correct frequency.

The chance for allied crews to see enemy aircraft close up would certainly be of interest to most, and in particular for pilots, the chance to fly some, especially considering the advanced nature of many German aircraft would be a certainty, even if only for a brag!

As for the badge, it definitely shows a German eagle not an RAF one, is an unofficial badge, and clearly the connection being that he was flying German aircraft.

My queries relate to:

1) The badge is not an issue Luftwaffe badge, so was there some sort of design to it?
2) Although a gimmick, how did he get away with wearing it? He wasn't a particularly high rank, and there are many, many cases of men wearing official badges for example who were told to change or remove them as being the wrong badge (Aircrew half wings for example). Others, such as the Goldfish Club badge (for downed airmen) were not authorised for wear on the uniform, so it was generally worn under the pocket flap or lapel where it could not be seen, although at the end of the war this was relaxed and some started wearing them on the pocket. The thought of a 'German' badge, with swastika being worn openly would have sent some COs red with rage as being 'bad taste', so how long did he get away with it?
3) But I am interested in where it was made. It does not seem to be a German badge 'nicked' off a downed German, so if made in the UK, would it be a one off? Tailor made? Were any others worn by the Enemy Aircraft Flight?
4) If it was a one off, worn for a short time, not a Luftwaffe badge, where did the re-enactor get his?

It is certainly a huge departure from usual 'unofficial' badges!
Old 03-12-21, 01:01 PM

I would've suggested that the badge may be part of a mock up German uniform in much the same way as would be worn by British army units involved in training representations of enemy forces, they even had British made "German" steel helmets with attempts at appropriate insignia.
As RAF BD with RAF insignia is being worn in the photo then that theory goes out of the window.