British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-21, 08:03 PM

Default Unidentified Naval badges seen today!

Hi, saw a couple of badges being worn today at work in HMNB Devonport that are unfamiliar to me, I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on them? The first was being worn by a wren (I know, they're not really wrens anymore), who was wearing PCS dress and had a round badge, about the size of a jam jar lid, consisting of a red octopus on a blue background, worn under the white ensign patch! The other was a male officer in PCS dress, with Royal Navy Commando titles and a parachute wing, on a khaki background, the curious thing was that it was in the style of the current SBS wing, but was swept down in the style of the old SAS wing that is often described as a 23 SAS wing? Any ideas of either?
I was also surprised to sea a wren wearing the green square and dark green commando dagger patch of 3 CDO Brigade on her blue PCS dress.

Be interested if anyone has any genuine knowledge of these badges?

Tonu
Old 19-11-21, 05:31 PM

The wings sound like Special Forces Communicators
Old 19-11-21, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664 View Post
The wings sound like Special Forces Communicators
The Navy special forces communicator wings are on a black background.
Khaki backing is army, dark blue for the RAF.
Old 19-11-21, 06:59 PM

Hate to appear dumb, but can you please tell me what PCS dress is? I have not heard that term before.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 19-11-21, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Hate to appear dumb, but can you please tell me what PCS dress is? I have not heard that term before.

Thanks,

Terry
Hello Terry , PCS = Personal Clothing System, it’s the current camouflage working kit of the British Armed Forces https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers...lothing_System

Gerard
Old 19-11-21, 08:24 PM

Thanks Gerard!!!

Terry
Old 19-11-21, 09:26 PM

Terry many thanks for asking the question and Gerald for the reply
Old 29-11-21, 10:05 AM

Although not officially issued, SFC wings are availaible in khaki and subdued versions and are occasionaly worn.

Commercial and issued version (Army) below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFC Army.jpg (33.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SFC commercial.jpg (54.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 29-11-21, 10:08 AM

The 3 Commando Brigade TRF is exactly that, a way of showing that the wearer is a member of the brigade - it has no connection to their commando status (not not). Unlike 16 Brigade you don't get to wear the lid unless you've passed the course...
Old 29-11-21, 11:01 AM

Technically the 3 Commando Brigade FS knife on a square background is a Formation Badge worn by every member of the Brigade on the left arm. Individuals should wear a Tactical Recognition Flash (TRF) indicating (if Army) their Corps or Regiment on the right arm.

The maroon beret is worn by all members of 16 Air Assault Brigade (see sub para ii below in extract from Army dress Regulations)

09.0111 Airborne/Air Assault, Marine and Army Air Corps. Respectively, the maroon,
green and light blue beret is only to be worn by:
a. Maroon Airborne/Air Assault Forces beret.
i) Parachute Regiment. All ranks of the Parachute Regiment, both Regular Army and
Reserve, wherever serving with all orders of dress.
ii) 16 Air Asslt Brigade. All ranks of supporting arms and services serving under peace
time OPCOM status of 16 Air Asslt Bde.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Cdo Bde (2).jpg (109.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 29-11-21 at 11:16 AM.
Old 29-11-21, 11:14 AM

As said by Royal these are the regulations for the wearing of the Green RM beret.
i) All ranks serving with FLEET who have passed the All Arms or Reserve Forces
Commando Course may wear the green beret in combat uniform. When on parade with RM, green berets are only to be worn if RM are wearing them on that parade themselves.
ii) All ranks posted out of FLEET cease to wear the RM green beret, except for those ORs
serving in RA, RE and RLC Commando units. Exceptionally those posted directly from
within FLEET to RMAS or any other Phase 1 training establishment as permanent staff or to a recruiting organisation may continue to wear the green RM beret provided that they are qualified (ie completed the All Arms Commando Course). In addition, qualified officers posted out of FLEET or a RA, RE and RLC Commando units to an ADC appointment may continue to wear the green beret for the duration of the ADC appointment. The green beret is to be replaced by normal regimental beret when posted to any other E1 or E2 appointment. (ADC 4126)

Tim
Old 29-11-21, 04:51 PM

Although in practice that is treated by those with greeb lids as guidance more than holy writ - in my experience at least!
Old 30-11-21, 10:39 AM

Hi all, thanks for the replies, interesting but maybe people have mis understood what I was asking? I'm very aware of the regulations on the wearing of the commando green beret and commando insignia, including the 3 Cdo Bde TRF, having been subject to them myself for much of my military career! My surprise was at seeing the 3 Cdo Bde TRF being worn on blue naval PCS uniform, mainly because, before PCS replaced the old No4 (previously No8) action working dress, I had never seen the patch being worn, with personnel serving with 3 Cdo Bde usually wearing DPM or olive lightweight trousers and green KF or stone shirts. The para wing (also worn on blue pcs) was as described but was not a special communicator wing as it did not have the lightening bolts on the bottom of the wing , hence the wing being unfamiliar to me? the octopus patch is still a mystery to me! I have also recently seen the blue/grey/white Shield shaped NRF (NATO Reaction Force) woven patch being worn on the arm of blue PCS, which was interesting as I didn't know RN personnel wore the patch, I've only ever seen it worn by foreign navies, I'm assuming i's similar to the enamel STANAFORLANT shield broach.

Regards
Tony
Old 30-11-21, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
Although in practice that is treated by those with greeb lids as guidance more than holy writ - in my experience at least!
Got to say, that presently, it's pretty standard to see RN personnel wearing green lids and RN commando shoulder titles on their blue PCS working rig. Once I started working in HMNB Devonport, I was quite surprised how many submariners and clearance divers I see who are wearing green lids!
Tony
Old 30-11-21, 11:44 AM

My posts above quoted official dress regulations for Army personnel wearing the RM Green Beret and the Airborne Maroon Beret.

I repeat that the 3 Commando Brigade FS knife on a green green square background is a Formation Badge to be worn on the left arm and NOT a Tactical Recognition Flash (TRF) worn on the right arm.

Tim