British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-11-08, 02:35 PM

Default naval trade badges, ident help, please?!...

found these two random trade badges...

the summer dress one has a black border. i`d never seen that before, anyone know the story behind that?... i was told it was a "memorial" patch, if someone died on ship they would use them... however i cant really see that happening, sounds like an expensive, time consuming (sewing on and off) thing to do... maybe a manufacturers error?...

and the garrison dress trade... wasnt expecting to find that! can i assume safely its for dental trades, similar to the army ones?...

any help much appreciated...

sean

patch1.jpg

patch3.jpg
Old 18-11-08, 04:50 PM

The Naval Dental Assistant badge may very well be a trial/sample.
In the Canadian Forces, all of the Dental Branch occupations wear the Army/Land uniform so there is no requirement for Navy Dental Branch badges.

Phil
Old 18-11-08, 06:59 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Sean, Do you know where the term Land Army came from, & troops on the ground & all this other bull, Of course an Armys place is on the ground You hear all the time now "so many troops on the ground' where else would you have them The word troop is associated with Army because they TROOP, (march) You never hear Navy or Air Force personell being refered to as troops. Maybe because they don't march (troop) as much.They are in fact troops of course but are always refered to as Air or naval. I always cringe when I hear that term.on the ground. Is this another American saying that we've coppied? I was speaking to a part-time soldier one time & refered to him as being in the Militia & he was quite offended,he said the term used now was 'Land Army' Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 18-11-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 19-11-08, 02:15 AM

I refer to the uniform as Land/Army because in the Canadian Forces, when we went to Distinctive Environmental Uniforms, we were not called Army, Navy and Air Force, but literally Land Environment, Sea Environment and Air Environment.
"Land Army", I believe, was the organization in Britain that employed women in agriculture since all of the able bodied men were in the armed services.

Phil
Old 22-11-08, 06:57 PM

thanks for the info Phil, much appreciate it... no ideas on the reason for the black edge on the summer dress trade, tho?...
Old 22-11-08, 10:42 PM

My best guess is that both badges are trials/samples.
To the best of my knowledge, neither of these were ever issued.
Do you remember where you got them?

Phil
Old 23-11-08, 04:38 PM

hi Phil, yes i do remember, they were purchased at a store in toronto. the gentleman there didnt know much about them, he bought bulk cloth insignia back in the day and these came out of that...
Old 16-12-08, 02:12 PM

I cannot help any of you here as I know next to nothing about the current trade badges worn by the Canadian Forces Navy, or whatever the Canadian navy is called now. I have seen these white trade badges with the black perimeter at shows in the past tho, but I have no idea what they signify.

I can relate tho that the old {pre integration} RCN had no Dental branch - dental services for the RCN were provided by the RCAMC Dentists.

Bryan