British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-14, 01:45 AM

Default HMCS Rainbow Cap and Tally

Hi guys,
This is the only forum I've been able to find some discussion regarding WWI RCN tallies, so I thought I'd post this up here.
Picked up this cap and tally last week, from what I can tell it is an original cap and tally, named to C Gill and dated 1910(it looks like). There is a maker mark on the cap but I can't read it yet and it looks like size 7. The cap is shorter in height than the WWII period Naval caps. The tally looks coloured on in the pics but it is in fact embroidered.
I also realize the tally is tied on incorrectly, this is one of the reasons I was trying to research C Gill so I could confirm the tally was original to the cap.
Any and all comments are appreciated as this is the first pre WWI/WWI cap and tally I have handled.

Old 26-05-14, 01:01 PM

Very nice cap & certainly has the age.

I think you will find upon closer examination that the HMCS Rainbow cap ribbon is embroidered in gold lace, for comparison I have att'd my example below:

If you may be interested in selling this cap I would be interested, PM me if so,

PS - I LOVE the photo!

Thanks,
RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribbon, cap, Rainbow.jpg (70.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 26-05-14, 01:33 PM

Very nice cap and tally, indeed. I managed to find a photo of the *real* original owner:

Old 27-05-14, 01:40 AM

Hey fellas,
The tally is indeed embroidered with gold lace, the wear on the front of the tally makes it appear odd.

Bryan, the cap is not for sale at the moment. I`ve just got it in and it is quite a nice addition to my collection. Having said that, I am not a specific RCN collector, with the right offer I might consider it.

The dog could very well be the original owner based on the amount of pet hair on the cap. I did gently run a lint brush over it to remove some of it.

Researching C Gill is the next step and so far no joy. I have found a C Gill on the LAC website, Charles Gill, but there is no rank listed. I wonder if he was a civilian.
Old 27-05-14, 01:41 AM

Rainbow was presented to Canada in 1910, and was recommissioned HMCS Rainbow on 4 August. She and HMS Niobe were purchased from the Admiralty to be used as training ships at Royal Naval College of Canada in Halifax, Nova Scotia.[3][4] During discussions on the type of cruisers to be sent to Canada, the Admiralty believed that the Apollo-class cruiser was the right choice.[5] Canada paid $225 000 to acquire Rainbow, using outstanding money from the Marine and Fisheries Department.[6] Before departing Great Britain, the ships required alterations to make them suitable for training. This required new heating systems, an up-to-date galley, the latest in Marconi wireless, the enlargement of the cadet gunroom and principal messes and the removal of the obsolete secondary armamaent