British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-08, 05:25 PM

Default 1st & 2nd LIFE GUARDS

I find these badges the hardest to Distinguish if they are Originals or restrikes . I have never seen one with a slider do they exists ?

Old 26-03-08, 12:57 AM

I think the 'V' should hang like the ones in the forum picture album. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/arm...gnia_index.htm
Would have thought this badge being post 1922 it would have had a slider. I have had 2 GvR Household Cavalry badges at different times which had lug stubs and a slider replaced, so perhaps the regiments of the Houseold Cavalry
were keen to use sliders. Cheers, Paul.
Old 26-03-08, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I think the 'V' should hang like the ones in the forum picture album. I have had 2 GvR Household Cavalry badges at different times which had lug stubs and a slider replaced, so perhaps the regiments of the Houseold Cavalry
were keen to use sliders. Cheers, Paul.
agreed. Frequent occurence for the Household rgts. maybe headdress changes or number of headdress options, may mean more conversions.

Old 26-03-08, 01:04 PM

I see what you mean with the V .
Makes my badge look crude .
Old 27-03-08, 01:56 AM

Allways interested in seeing related items to 2LG and Household Cavalry. Interested to know if 1LG and 2LG actualy used a number over the LG as a S/T. Anyone have pictures showing such in use, or examples, or pictures of GMGR S/Ts in use or an original example? Cheers, Paul.
Old 27-02-19, 07:31 PM

I particularly like those two cap badges, you do see the deliberate removal of the original fittings time and time again, in particular, in the post war period, very nice examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
agreed. Frequent occurence for the Household rgts. maybe headdress changes or number of headdress options, may mean more conversions.

Old 27-02-19, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Allways interested in seeing related items to 2LG and Household Cavalry. Interested to know if 1LG and 2LG actualy used a number over the LG as a S/T. Anyone have pictures showing such in use, or examples, or pictures of GMGR S/Ts in use or an original example? Cheers, Paul.
I have a photo showing the 2 over LG title in wear.
Old 27-02-19, 11:17 PM

Hello Leigh- I have seen an image in a Peter Doyle badge book but interested in other images. I think the practice may have died out as the war went on, with just LG being worn. Interested in your image if available to view- even if I originally posted 11 years ago! Regards, Paul.
Old 17-03-19, 03:56 PM

The RHG fascinates me, in particular the improvised slider, I wonder where the metal used came from, with the gilt, it turns up time and time again, you often encounter gilding metal ranker's G1vR Household Cavalry with their blades removed and one of those "sliders" added, quite deliberately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post