British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-19, 10:09 AM

Default Military Police

Can anyone confirm what buttons were worn by the Military Mounted Police & Military Foot Police nco's, from Victorian times to prior to the Corps of Military Police? Would it be a plain crowned cypher?

GTB
Old 04-03-19, 08:15 PM

According to Colin Carnall's book prior to the reign of Edward 7th the military police wore the Victorian general service buttons of white metal or brass which were available in 3 sizes, 1 inch, 0.75 inch and 0.60 inch.

After that it was the George V Royal cypher as you said.

Michael
Old 05-03-19, 07:19 AM

Thanks for that. Do I understand that the ERVII reign also utilised GS buttons but with KC?

GTB
Old 06-03-19, 09:01 AM

Hi GTB,

Sorry I was out all yesterday, I think you are right but I'll have a look in the book tonight for you.

Michael
Old 07-03-19, 11:55 AM

Hi GTB,

Colin's book talks about the Victorian GS buttons, then mentions the ERVII cap badge and discusses the MMP and MFP shoulder titles being worn as cap badges.

The next bit about buttons says "prior to the formation of the CMP in 1926 they wore Kings Crown general service buttons. OR's wore brass while WO's wore white metal".

The next button related entry talks about the GvR Royal Cypher design being adopted after the CMP was formed.

Hope that helps.

Michael
Old 12-03-19, 11:27 AM

Belated thanks, Michael. Most helpful.

GTB
Old 12-03-19, 03:05 PM

No problem at all, happy to help.

Michael
Old 14-03-21, 07:30 PM

Colin Carnell's book Redcap collectibles is mistaken (sadly it is riddled with errors). White metal buttons were not worn by Warrant Officers of the MMP, MFP or CMP. He is confusing things with the silver anodised cap buttons worn by Warrant Officers of the RMP in modern times.

The only buttons authorised for MMP & MFP were brass Royal Arms General Service buttons.

Buttons with a George V cypher were introduced c.1926 and worn at the wearers own expense if they so desired, other than that GS buttons were worn. Edward VIII buttons for CMP were produced but never worn. During the George VI era there were two patterns of button - the first being a George V style cypher but with "VI", the later being a standard GVI cypher- the difference in style being that the later pattern did not have the G & R entwined as with the GV cypher.

The George VI cypher buttons were also produced in gold coloured anodised aluminium, though so far I have only encountered large and medium size, not cap size buttons.

White metal buttons of the same style as worn by CMP from 1936 to 1952, ie the George VI cypher with Imperial Crown, are War Department Constabulary, not Corps of Military Police.
Old 15-03-21, 07:40 AM

Thank you redcapsarge for that post about buttons, I have to say I was very surprised to see wm buttons shown in Colin Carnells book, it made me doubt everything I had previously known. My doubt has now been laid to rest.
Cheers
Sean