British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-18, 11:02 AM

Default The Special Force Wing

As the request of Donovan, I have started this thread on the Special Force Wing, to avoid the possibility of hijacking another thread. I raised a question concerning the validity of a statement made that this Wing was worn by US, Commonwealth and RAF Pilots and Aircrew in England who flew support missions for OSS and SOE.

As a start to this thread I will post an example (not sure if I have posted this previously) of a Jedburgh Special Force Wing that belonged to a British Sgt Jedburgh W/T Operator, who carried out 2 missions to France and following them a similar mission to Burma with Force 136. In the tin they came in are also other insignia's and bits and pieces, including his Parachute Wing gained following a short course at RAF Ringway. This Wing and the SF Wing were worn in France, he, as did most Jedburgh Teams, carried out his mission behind the lines in Uniform. When he served in Burma he continued to use the SF Wing he was issued with at Milton Hall, ME 65, but obtained another parachute Wing whilst there, I will attach an image of this Wing with this posting.

If there is interest in a Special Force Wing thread, this can address questions relating to its history and development, also examples of originals and those that need opinion too. I can post a few other examples in my collection and I am sure there are many others who can add to this as well. All the best, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B(a).jpg (15.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg B(b).jpg (37.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg B(c).jpg (59.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg B(d).jpg (65.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 21-05-18, 11:03 AM

The parachute Wings he wore in Burma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (32.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (34.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 21-05-18, 11:42 AM

Great to see attributed items - also to learn of their history
This promises to be a very useful thread
Mike
Old 21-05-18, 02:01 PM

I didn't think that pilots and aircrew wore those SF wings. They would have worn their regular wings and brevets. Only the Jedburgh teams - usually 1 British, 1 American and 1 French - would have worn them on their sleeve.

As usual, always open to other opinions.
David
Old 21-05-18, 05:56 PM

I agree with David (and probably Clive as well) that RAF and other air forces personnel did not “wear” the SF wing on their uniforms. In my reply to another related thread, I deliberately chose the language that the SF wing may have “found its way into the hands of” pilots and aircrews who supported OSS and SOE missions from England (under the aegis of SFHQ, I’d add). You’ve put your finger precisely on one of the issues that were discussed in a series of articles by authors Les Hughes and Albert Mendez in the ASMIC quarterly publication, The Trading Post, in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. The articles were extensive, and in my passing comment I greatly condensed their content and areas of disagreement. I come down on the side of Les Hughes’ conclusions. I’ll dig out the relevant back issues of The Trading Post and provide citations, so you can read the articles first hand and reach your own conclusions.

Best regards,
Donovan

P.S. Beautiful wings Clive, great to see them.

Last edited by castagain; 22-05-18 at 12:55 AM.
Old 21-05-18, 07:20 PM

Hopefully we have cleared this up, but will await the further details from Donovan that he mentions. I have never seen any written or photographic evidence of the Special Force Wing being worn or in the hands of RAF, Commonwealth or USAAF Pilots or Aircrew. I have been in contact with Les Hughes for many years and we have exchanged numerous emails on the subject of the Special Force Wing. His knowledge is second to none and hold him in high regard. I look forward to him hopefully contributing to this thread. I will post further examples of this iconic and unique Insignia and hope that others will follow suit. All the best for now, Clive.
Old 21-05-18, 07:33 PM

The Special Force Wing was designed by Captain Victor Gough of the Somerset Light Infantry, the winner of an open competition at Milton Hall. My belief is that its purpose was a unifying emblem for the newly formed multi-national Jedburgh Teams. It was also worn by others including SFHQ, OSS French-American and Norwegian-American Operational Groups, Poles of the BARDSEA Mission, SAARF, members of Force 136 and American USMC who served in the Union 11 Mission. More detail will be added hopefully to this thread in due course. Regards, Clive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
I didn't think that pilots and aircrew wore those SF wings. They would have worn their regular wings and brevets. Only the Jedburgh teams - usually 1 British, 1 American and 1 French - would have worn them on their sleeve.

As usual, always open to other opinions.
David
Old 21-05-18, 09:25 PM

I'll re-post this SF wing for the sake of comparison; then withdraw to lurk in the background and try to learn something, as the experts take the floor. The wing came from an OG veteran.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (64.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 22-05-18, 01:34 AM

All,

Here are the citations to the ASMIC "Trading Post" quarterly magazine's articles that I am aware of that relate to the SF wing. There may be other relevant articles that I'm unaware of, in which case other Forum members can chime in. I believe the articles by Les Hughes to be great sources of information on the wing and other OSS insignia, and I recommend them highly to anyone who wants to track down copies via eBay, ABEbooks, or elsewhere. (The Albert Mendez article, not so much.) My copies have served me well over the years, and are dog-earred from use.

I seem to have inadvertently touched a nerve by mentioning in a previous thread that examples of the SF wing may have "passed into the hands of" RAF and other pilots or aircrew who supported SFHQ operations from England. I apologize if I gave anyone offense. I was attempting from memory to summarize in a short phrase the complex controversy generated by Mr. Mendez's article on the wing, as well as the photo and description on pages 9-10 of the first 1988 article by Les Hughes cited below, showing "two SF wings that were purchased by a USAAF officer from an insignia manufacturer in London circa 1945." That is what I meant by using the phrase "passed into the hands of," which in my mind did not mean "authorized for wear by" or "seen worn by." I find Les Hughes' writings on this issue to be well researched, articulate, and persuasive. He dissects Mr. Mendez's views with the skill of a surgeon. The LAST thing I would want to do is to give renewed life to the perennial myth of the "RAF/SF wing."

"The Special Force Wing," by Les Hughes. ASMIC Trading Post (TP) magazine, July-Sept. 1988 issue, pp. 4-15. This article focuses specifically on the wing.

"The SF Wing, Etc.," by Les Hughes. TP, Jan-March 1989, pg. 25. Mentions that OSS 3rd Army Detachment personnel wore a distinctive version of the SF wing. Due to a printing error, the narrative mentions a photo of said wing, but the photo wasn't included in the print run. Les corrected this oversight by including the photo in a later article, see 1990 citation below.

"Another Look at the SF Wings," by M. Albert Mendez. TP, July-Sept. 1989, pp. 6-10.

"Another Look at the RAF/SF Wing," by Les Hughes. TP, April-June 1990, pp. 69-72. Includes photo of OSS 3rd Army Det. wing mentioned above.

"Insignia of the OSS," by Les Hughes. TP, April-June 1993, pp. 2-19. This longer article expands to cover all types of insignia associated with the OSS. Since he covered the SF wing in detail in his 1988 article, its coverage is abbreviated here, but it does address the origins and spread of SF wing usage beyond the Jeds. A great reference for lesser known OSS insignia that are rarely described and pictured elsewhere, if ever.

Best regards,
Donovan

Last edited by castagain; 22-05-18 at 02:50 AM.
Old 22-05-18, 06:21 AM

Here's my original, the entire book can be found in the albums section.

Rob

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=829

Old 22-05-18, 06:24 AM

The RAF connection is interesting because only the other day I spotted this one on ebay which seems to be made from an RAF Pilots wing?

I have no connection to this item or the seller.

Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-M...YAAOSwWxNYuJ~Z
Old 22-05-18, 02:02 PM

An excellent original SF Wing, dob. Many thanks Donovan for providing the information on the ASMIC Trading Post articles. I am sure no one took offense regarding your comment about the Wing being in the hands of RAF and USAAF, definitely a myth best dispelled! A superb SF Wing and other Insignia's too Rob. The Wing for sale on eBay has been there for a while now, perhaps due to uncertainty and the price. It is definitely interesting and I believe it could be original, but an irregular pattern, I have not seen another like it before though. Thinking about it, the Mendez Wing may have been similar, but I do not have the article to hand to confirm one way or the other.

I will add these two SF Wings (already posted in a previous thread) that belonged to members of Force 136, one belonged to a W/T Operator who carried out a Jedburgh mission to France beforehand. When he was training at at Milton Hall he told me that he never received an SF Wing there. This Wing is the only pattern I know of that was worn by those who served in Force 136. That is not to say there were not others, but I am unaware of them. In the main images that you see of Force 136 tend to have just the Parachute Wing being worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z1Gibbs.jpg (73.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Z2Gibbs.jpg (21.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Z3.jpg (74.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Z4.jpg (83.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 22-05-18, 05:34 PM

This came from a good old collection but without attribution. I am sure it is right, and a Far East variant - comments always welcome
Regards
Mike
Old 23-05-18, 02:47 AM

Clive, here are my SF wings. First up is Capt. McCord Sollenberger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4222018224238.jpg (64.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 23-05-18, 02:50 AM

Next, top two are from Major Fred Agee. Third from top is to Sgt. Hartwick Weberg. Last is from Jorgen Andersen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4222018223946.jpg (70.0 KB, 115 views)