British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Classifieds: Sales and Wanted

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-20, 09:57 AM

Default Wanted: Connaught Rangers QVC

I'm looking for a good Connaught Rangers QVC cap badge with a nice patina and good lugs. If you have one you are willing to sell or trade, please contact me

Kind regards,
Kyle
Old 11-07-20, 12:16 PM

What happened to that very nice one I pointed out to you last week?
Old 13-07-20, 08:33 AM

Default badge

Kyle - one listed on Dead Spartan's site today if you haven't got one yet..

Mark
Old 13-07-20, 08:36 AM

You would think with all the money he makes he would buy a decent camera.
Old 13-07-20, 09:35 AM

Default badge

Yes - always annoying - his photos have been like that for a long time. must put buyers off when you can't see item properly. Ebay sellers often blur their pictures deliberately to hide faults etc.

Mark
Old 13-07-20, 01:24 PM

Luke, I appreciate you looking out for me, but I just wasn't happy with it when it arrived. There was no patina and it looked as though it was made yesterday. As all of my other badges and collars have a nice aged patina, it didn't fit in with the rest of the display.

Thanks, Mark. The one on Dead Spartan doesn't look to have a good patina though. Regarding his images, I think he may use a flatbed scanner, rather than a camera. The blurring and lack of detail does give the impression that he's trying to mask the quality of the badge though
Old 13-07-20, 09:53 PM

Kyle,

It was a lovely genuine badge. Being a very particular collector myself I often know the desire to have a badge that meets all ones expectation so whether it’s patina, quality of strike, slight mis-strike, small die flaws etc. when they arrive my critical eye picking these things out can go into overdrive. Sometimes I have to rein myself in as it’s not a perfectionists hobby, especially once you get into scarcer badges.

I would say if you are very particular about an item and it being a genuine one is insufficient in itself to meet your needs then it’s probably a case of you need to find one that totally satisfies you in advance rather than buying on a thumbs up basis.

Hopefully someone here has one that fits the bill for you. I’m sure one will appear sooner or later.

Last edited by Luke H; 13-07-20 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Typo and grammar
Old 13-07-20, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Yes - always annoying - his photos have been like that for a long time. must put buyers off when you can't see item properly. Ebay sellers often blur their pictures deliberately to hide faults etc.

Mark
I do feel sorry for Robbie. His scans used to be OK-ish a few years back. Then I remembered him sounding quite excited in an email mentioning his new better scanner arriving... turned out itís diabolically bad. Imagine as heís never changed it it wasnít cheap.

Completely agree with how frustrating it is though when deciding to buy.
Old 13-07-20, 10:33 PM

Default badges

Hi Luke,

You would think that if he is potentially loosing sales through bad photos he would invest in something better.

Mark
Old 13-07-20, 10:45 PM

I completely agree.

As I understand it badges are a sideline for him rather than his main business. I assume the scanner performs better in the latter and that the badge scans and sales are less of a concern.
Old 13-07-20, 11:14 PM

Default badges

Not a bad sideline...It always amazes me when I view dealers sites, the amount of stock they carry. Must be many tens of thousands worth of items. They should have sales more often !

Mark
Old 13-07-20, 11:22 PM

I agree. But I suspect some hobbyist dealers probably don’t object and in fact quite enjoy being surrounded by hoards of badges. After all it’s a great excuse if you can point to a website and assure the wife it’s for sale and you’re making money from the hobby... even if it never sells
Old 14-07-20, 12:17 AM

Iíve given up using a scanner, itís so much easier and quicker with an iphone. Sure a good scanner works wonders but on hi resolution it takes forever and you quite often have to lower the quality to post on forums anyway.
Old 14-07-20, 01:51 AM

If he's using a scanner, I don't understand why it's just the backs that are ever blurry.

FWIW, I don't attribute any sinister motives. I just assumed he's doing a rush job with a crap camera.
Old 14-07-20, 06:01 AM

Andy Plewa has a nice one on ebay which should fit your criteria, Kyle, and cheaper than deadspartan because you get free postage.