British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-19, 02:34 PM

Default The Home Front in 100 Objects

I've been working my way through this one...and whilst not a Badge-specific book I'm finding it highly educational...and fun. It does what it says on the "tin" - there's 100 items ranging from Ration Books to helmets...and all points in between. All are beautifully presented but also extremely well supported by the facts. I thought I knew a bit about this stuff until I started reading this one. It's a great read for anyone interested in the Brit Home Front during WW2....but it would also make a great gift to anyone who starts sentences with "During the war".......
Old 13-12-19, 02:25 AM

2 Black Bands, I know that not every one is interested in the “Home Front” articles but having grown up “During the War” near Brentwood in Essex, I would be interested in knowing more about this book. Your post whetted my appetite and the fact that I now reside near Niagara Falls in Canada, I suppose the chances of my local library getting a copy are to say the least, pretty remote! Incidentally, 18 days after your post, I am surprised no one has yet to respond. I for one, Thank you!. Regards, David J.
Old 24-12-19, 08:44 AM

Smile

David - thank you.

I too was a tad disappointed at the interest level...but us Home-Front types are used to playing second fiddle to the Khaki-brigade! :-)

Seriously though, unlike our book on Home Front Helmets, this one's been done "properly" (with a Publisher and everything) so I wouldn't be surprised if it were to crop up the other side of the pond. Perhaps one will come down the chimney tonight!......

Merry Christmas!
Old 26-12-19, 05:37 PM

I wouldn’t take it to heart 2 Black Bands, the old phrase comes to mind, “They also serve who Stand and Wait.” (Or words to that effect). As you mentioned my Chimney, I had to smile. I have a high efficiency forced air natural gas furnace, the “Chimney” for which is definitely not military looking, so will not post a pic of it here LOL!..... check your PMs later. All the best and Happy new year. David J.
Old 26-12-19, 07:54 PM

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-...rdback/p/16852

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 31-12-19, 12:50 AM

Thanks for your post Mike2817, Have ordered the book, and thanks to 2black bands for alerting me to the existence of such. Best regards and Happy New Year to all. Especially to our two moderators! David J.
Old 31-12-19, 06:38 PM

Another in the series:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191231-183751_Amazon Shopping.jpg (50.6 KB, 12 views)