British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-20, 06:54 AM

Default Help needed to identify this regiment

Hi everyone
I came across a stack of photos when I bought a lot of British, South African and Canadian militaria. All the photos seem to be of the same group of servicemen, followed over time. Can someone please identify this regiment?
Regards
Theunsla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1330818.jpg (71.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg P1330820.jpg (82.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg P1330821.jpg (28.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 19-03-20, 08:09 AM

The first photo is definitely South African (Union Defence Forces). The officer in the peaked cap is Brig Gen (or possibly Maj Gen) George Brink, the officer on the extreme left looks like Matie du Toit. As far as unit goes, I'd say SA Staff Corps -- possibly the 1st SA Division HQ staff. Earliest possible date would be September 1939 (when Brink was promoted to brig gen).

These are not the same group who appear in either of the other two photos. In neither of those photos do the uniforms look South African.

Arthur
Old 19-03-20, 08:21 AM

Thanks, Arthur!
Old 19-03-20, 11:44 AM

The other two photos have the hallmarks of South African forces too, especially the second photo with a large group gathered around a memorial, where the distinctive, small sun helmet can clearly be identified. Unfortunately no regimental insignia is discernible.
Old 19-03-20, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The other two photos have the hallmarks of South African forces too, especially the second photo with a large group gathered around a memorial, where the distinctive, small sun helmet can clearly be identified. Unfortunately no regimental insignia is discernible.
After another look at the photo of the troops around the memorial, I agree. The chap in the centre is wearing the polo helmet, tunic and shorts uniform. I wonder if this was one of the Italian monuments in Somaliland, Ethiopia or Libya?

Arthur
Old 19-03-20, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
After another look at the photo of the troops around the memorial, I agree. The chap in the centre is wearing the polo helmet, tunic and shorts uniform. I wonder if this was one of the Italian monuments in Somaliland, Ethiopia or Libya?
I thought it might be Jan Smuts or some other memorial relating to leading lights in the Boer Republics.
Old 10-06-20, 01:33 PM

After some research, I think I have pin-pointed the date and place of these pictures. They all seem to relate to the pre-WW2 military exercises in 1938 lead by Major General George Brink in the then Northern Transvaal. The picture of the soldiers at the memorial plaque was taken at the Limpopo River Bridge, or Beit Bridge. The plaque is of Alfred Beit.
Old 11-06-20, 12:23 PM

Good progress. The photo of Brink and the other officers must be from a later occasion, though, as he's clearly wearing a general officer's cap badge and gorget patches. He was promoted to brigadier-general in September 1939 (when he was appointed Deputy Chief of the General Staff), major-general in 1940 (as GOC 1 SA Division) and lieutenant-general in 1947 (when he was Director-General of Demobilisation).

Arthur