British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-20, 01:29 PM

Default 11th Hussars epaulette?

I cannot find an online example of the Captain's rank epaulette in my photograph. The cherry colour would suggest 11th Hussars but I believe that the R.A.M.C. may also have had epaulettes of this colour. Googling Cherry coloured epaulettes brings up the South African Military Nursing Service so you can see why I am confused.

Can anyone please offer an accurate identification?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lud 001.jpg (116.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Lud 002.jpg (91.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-02-20, 05:20 PM

The orange band was the wartime marking of South African volunteers.

Middle East General Routine Order of 1st January 1943 states that ‘All UDF seconded personnel will conform to UDF dress distinctions particularly the wearing of the orange tab no matter where they serve’.

Once formation signs were widely worn MEGRO 1531 of 20th November 1943 instructed that’ the UDF orange tab may be discontinued if it clashes with unit or formation insignia worn on the shoulder’.

Looks like your epaulette is indeed South African.

Jon
Old 02-02-20, 05:54 PM

Jon,

many thanks for your detailed reply. The epaulette was in a mixed bag of buttons when I bought it this morning. Except for three Indian Army "GRI" buttons there only single buttons to the following African units, Cape Mounted Rifles, Natal Mounted Rifles, Northern Rhodesia Police and the King's African Rifles, So there definitely looks to be a South African connection but, I have no idea if the items are related in any way other than having been in someone's small collection.

I do not know if any of these inits wore cherry coloured epaulettes. Lastly, to confuse matters further, I would suggest that the tab is more red than orange. I will repost the photographs in the South African section.

Simon.
Old 02-02-20, 06:09 PM

Post 11 in this thread confirms that these tabs were originally red.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38914